Windows 7 desktop RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

My 1st post so please bear with me.

Turned my pc on today (running windows 7 homepremium 64bit) and after loading up to the desktop my usual theme wasnt on and so went to personalize and I didnt have to option to select any except windows classic so now my machine looks like windows 98. Problem 1.

Problem 2 is my security centre wont start, ive accessed services.msc and it wasnt clicked as to start automatically so changed that and it still wont work.  I have installed avg free, malware bytes, adaware and i use the windows 7 firewall, everything has ran and apart from a few cookies in adaware my machine appears to be clean.  Im not exactly a techo-phobe and im pretty confident using computers, i even built this one but this problem has me stumped.  System restore which i just found out isnt on so cant go back but i also cant turn it back on.  Apart from a full re-install which i dont want to do, could any one shed some ligt to my problem.

Many Thanks

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:01 PM Moved to appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:19 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

According to your description, it seems that computer was attacked by Virus. I suggest scanning system using the anti-virus software in Safe Mode first. Also you can use “Last Known Good Configuration option”  by pressing F8 during login.

After that, please check if the computer works OK. If any issue persists, please let me know what error is received when trying to start the security center service and system restore service.

For the theme

Please follow these steps to check the services were turned on:

1 Input “Services.msc” in Search box and press Enter

2 Find the services “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” and “Themes”

3 Change these services startup type to “Automatic” and press “Start” button

4 Click “OK”

Please also check if you can start these services in Clean Boot mode.

This similar thread maybe helpful to you:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7security/thread/d8250e7a-ee3c-4302-8ca6-9e2a10262feb

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, November 29, 2010 2:10 AM
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 7:35 AM