none
Exchange 2007 View BypassedSenderDomains and BypassedSenders

Question

• I am aware of the following command to add senders or domains to the whitelist:
    set-contentfilterconfig -bypasseddomains and -bypassedsenders

But I have run into an issue I cant figure out. I want to view the domains and senders that are whitelisted in a list so I ran the following:
    Get-ContentFilterConfig | Format-List BypassedSenders,Bypassedsenderdomains 

The problem, is that it appears to only show the last entries to the list. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Craig9876:

I think I may have your answer.

Try running Get-ContentFilterConfig from the Exchange Shell.  Compare the unfiltered/formatted output with the formatted output.  If you're only showing the last entry, this is because the BypassedSenderDomain and BypassedSender lists are just that, lists.  Everytime you add a new entry to the list using Set-ContentFilterConfig, you're actually overwriting your original list.  Hence, you only see the last entry you saved.

Use:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995952.aspx as a guide.

Pay particular attention to the section:

Adding Senders or Recipients to an Existing Content Filter Configuration 
    When you add new senders or recipients to an existing content filter configuration by using the procedures in this topic, existing senders or recipients in the content filter configuration are replaced with the new data.

To append senders or recipients to an existing configuration, you can create a variable in which to store the existing data. After you create the variable, you can then add data to the configuration. In the following example, the variable is $list.

This example shows how to add a sender to the BypassedSender property of the content filter configuration. You can replace the BypassedSender parameter in this example with the BypassedSenderDomain parameter or BypassedRecipients parameter to add data to other existing properties on the content filter configuration. 

Hope this helps.

Jacob

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craig9876 Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:23 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Craig9876:

I think I may have your answer.

Try running Get-ContentFilterConfig from the Exchange Shell.  Compare the unfiltered/formatted output with the formatted output.  If you're only showing the last entry, this is because the BypassedSenderDomain and BypassedSender lists are just that, lists.  Everytime you add a new entry to the list using Set-ContentFilterConfig, you're actually overwriting your original list.  Hence, you only see the last entry you saved.

Use:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa995952.aspx as a guide.

Pay particular attention to the section:

Adding Senders or Recipients to an Existing Content Filter Configuration 
    When you add new senders or recipients to an existing content filter configuration by using the procedures in this topic, existing senders or recipients in the content filter configuration are replaced with the new data.

To append senders or recipients to an existing configuration, you can create a variable in which to store the existing data. After you create the variable, you can then add data to the configuration. In the following example, the variable is $list.

This example shows how to add a sender to the BypassedSender property of the content filter configuration. You can replace the BypassedSender parameter in this example with the BypassedSenderDomain parameter or BypassedRecipients parameter to add data to other existing properties on the content filter configuration. 

Hope this helps.

Jacob

• Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Craig9876 Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:23 AM
    Monday, August 31, 2009 8:25 PM
  • Wow, great answer and thank you. I wonder how many other people overwrite the list every single time, like I have been doing!
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:27 PM
  • You can bet it's a lot.  
    Thursday, November 01, 2012 3:39 PM