none
Planning a backup solution - DPM 2012 Tape based RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been using DPM2012 in D2D mode for sometime and we just migrated our Tape Library onto the DPM server and I'm trying to get my head around backup, rentention and recovery in the DPM environment.  I've used BUExec for over 12 years for tape based backups.  So let's start with an Exchange backup scenario.  I need at least a 30 minute recovery window for D2D and for tape based I need to be able to recover any e-mail on the system that is captured in the 30 minute window for a period of 3 years.  Our Exchange enviornment is 2010 with DAG groups.

So far I have setup short-term protection for 15 days with 30 mnutes synchronization for the D2D aspect.

For the D2T aspect I'm having a problem meeting my requirements.  I'm thinking of setting-up the following:

Recovery Goal : Tape

Recovery Points:  1 recovery point every 1 week for th last 6 weeks, 1 recovery point every 3 months for the last 12 months, 1 recovery point every 1 year for the last 3 years

Backup Schedule: Tape

Every 1 week: Sat 11pm, Every 3 months at 11pm, every 12 months at 11pm

Now here is where I'm getting confused.  As the short-term expires every 15 days and the tape based backup is a full backup as basically a point in time versus a synthetic of the entire weeks data how would I recover a email say two years from now.  Example, I do a backup on Tuesday January 1st to tape.  2 years from now I have a request to recover an email for forensic in a lawsuit.  How would I do that with what I architected or is it not possible?

Monday, December 17, 2012 10:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As noted, DPM long term backups are just like any other tape based backup, it's a "point in time" backup of the database as it looked at the time of the backup.  Anything that happens to the databases between tape backups is not captured.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by DDNDAVID Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:47 PM
    Monday, December 17, 2012 10:55 PM