Will I stop dragging notification icons off of the taskbar in time? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Windows 7 since the first Beta bacame available publicly, and I have gotten used to dragging up on the taskbar icons.
    So by habit I dragged up on my power options notification area icon, and is disappears.
    Now, I already knew that it would disappear, but for some reason, by accident, by force of habit, I dragged the icon off of the taskbar, out of the notification area.
    Has Microsofts useability studies shown that eventualy one remembers not to do this? It seems easy enough to put it back. At first I looked for an "undo" type of command. Didn't find one. Then I found the disappeared icon in the area/location where hidden icons reside.
    Maybe there should be a check box "Keep icon on taskbar (even if you drag it off)" option, or something that is more consistent with the other taskbar icons.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 7:38 AM

Answers

• Proton2,

That is the quick and easy way to hide icons that you don't want to see all the time. If you drag and hold, you will see that little 'hidden icon' area appear and a black line shows up to indicate where you are going to drop it. I rather enjoy doing it that way as opposed to finding the customize window and digging through all those icons. However, habits are hard to break, aren't they?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:13 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Click the Start Orb and type in Notification Area Icons followed by changing the power options icon from "Only show notifications" to "Show icon and notifications".
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Proton2,

That is the quick and easy way to hide icons that you don't want to see all the time. If you drag and hold, you will see that little 'hidden icon' area appear and a black line shows up to indicate where you are going to drop it. I rather enjoy doing it that way as opposed to finding the customize window and digging through all those icons. However, habits are hard to break, aren't they?
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:13 AM
    Answerer
  • You are answering a question that the poster did not ask.  He knows how to customize the icons... what he's saying is:

"Why is there a discrepency between how you interact with tray icons versus running programs on the taskbar?"

That is, you drag up on taskbar buttons to get a menu, but you can't drag-up on tray icons to get a menu.  Why not?

Saturday, June 13, 2009 7:10 PM