none
DPM 2007 and Filegroups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to use DPM 2007 to backup a SQL Server 2008 database which has multiple filegroups and files (over 120 of each).

When I try to modify the Protection Group > Expand the SQL Server I get the following error message:

The job failed due to an unexpected error: Make sure that the DPMRA service is running. ID: 914: Internal Error Code 0x80990A6A.

I've uninstalled and re-installed the agent - no affect.

Could it be that DPM is unable to enumerate this number of Filegroups and Files?

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 12:28 PM

All replies

• HI,

error 0x80990A6A = E_COORD_RESPONSE_MESSAGE_TOO_LARGE

A SQL Database having filestream itself is not an issue but if the number of file streams for the database are very high, DPM has an internal 10 MB DCOM limit for agent communications and if exceeded will cause problems.  It's not the size of the files in the data stream it’s the number of file streams that cause us to exceed the 10MB dcom limit.

Before backing up a database, we pass the backup metadata from the protected server (SQL) to the DPM server and we are passing each file name in the FILESTREAM folder as a node in the metadata Xml file. If the .xml file exceeds 10MB, we will fail. This is planned to be fixed in the next release of DPM.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:06 PM