none
Is Google Apps Mail Business compatible as e-mail server to Project Server 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anybody know if Project Server and SharePoint 2013 can use Google Apps Mail as e-mail server?

Thank you.

Best regards, Ricardo Segawa - Segawas Projetos / Microsoft Partner

Friday, February 1, 2013 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Ali-Al,

The issue is not installing the SMTP Server, but make the SMTP Server log in with an e-mail and a password at Google Apps Business Mail, which Windows SMTP does not do that.

I already have a solution without using the hMail Server third part application as suggested by Hrishi.

Customers that have a Business account with Google Apps Business Mail can request, under certain conditions, an e-mail server port that does not require autentication. This way you can address the SMTP server field from Project Server and SharePoint Server (2010 and 2013) direct to this server port.

I am using this e-mail server port with Google in a Customer and it works flawlessly.

• Marked as answer by R.Segawa Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:38 PM
    • Edited by R.Segawa Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:41 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

any public e-mail-server will required authentication to allow relaying, but Project/SharePoint Server do not support authentication, see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262844.aspx.

You can use relays to facilitate this.

Best,

Renke

http://www.holert.com Project Management with MS Project - Oldenburg, Berlin, Munich/Germany

• Proposed as answer by Renke Holert Sunday, April 7, 2013 4:49 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 5:39 PM
  • In addition to excellent advice from Renke, you can setup local SMTP relay your environment to leverage notification service.

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:18 PM
  • Hi Renke and Hrishi,

So in this case I need the SMTP in my domain to relay to a mail server also in my domain that can send to Google Apps Mail? As I am not a Mail Server expert can you give me more orientation?

Thank you.

Friday, February 1, 2013 6:25 PM
  • I am using Office 365 for similar purpose and have not used Google Apps Mail, I think following link might help you.

https://sites.google.com/a/g-asiapac.com/home/Google-Apps-Malaysia/setup-internal-smtp-relay-server

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, February 1, 2013 8:09 PM
  • Hi Hrishi,

Very helpful document. I will try this. Looks very promising.

I will return my results.

Thank you.

Monday, February 4, 2013 10:05 PM
  • setting up SMTP Server in Windows Server 2008 is very easy. this will help you if you like to set that up http://www.itsolutionskb.com/2008/11/installing-and-configuring-windows-server-2008-smtp-server/

Ali Al . Consultant & IT Manager.
    epma
    FB TW IN

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Hi Ali-Al,

The issue is not installing the SMTP Server, but make the SMTP Server log in with an e-mail and a password at Google Apps Business Mail, which Windows SMTP does not do that.

I already have a solution without using the hMail Server third part application as suggested by Hrishi.

Customers that have a Business account with Google Apps Business Mail can request, under certain conditions, an e-mail server port that does not require autentication. This way you can address the SMTP server field from Project Server and SharePoint Server (2010 and 2013) direct to this server port.

I am using this e-mail server port with Google in a Customer and it works flawlessly.

• Marked as answer by R.Segawa Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:38 PM
    • Edited by R.Segawa Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:41 PM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 10:38 PM