none
How to: Automatically align Project Server ECF value with a SharePoint field value

Question

• Hello,

We’ve just moved two key Project Server Enterprise Custom Fields (ECFs) from Project Server 2013 to SharePoint 2013 (i.e. To a specific Project Site SharePoint List).  This has resulted in the inability to sort/group Projects data in the standard Project Server views, as SharePoint field information cannot be leveraged in Project Server (one of my ongoing gripes with EPM, one product - right?!)

Does anyone know how to automatically or programmatically update a single Project Server ECF (e.g. ‘Status’) with a SharePoint field containing the same set of ‘Status’ lookup values? 

Ideally this would keep both fields aligned at all times and ensure the SharePoint field value could be used to configure Project Server Views.

Options are…SharePoint Workflow?  Jscript?  Other?

Many thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 09, 2017 1:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• No takers?
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 10:11 PM
  • Hello,

So is the requirement to set a project custom field value for Project A with the value set on an SP list for Project A? Or do you have a choice site column that contains a list of Statuses and you want that list of options to sync to the lookup table definition for the Project Level custom field Statuses then you set the value manually from the custom field for Project A?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 6:49 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the reply.  The latter is the scenario we're working to,

i.e.  Project A (ECF: 'Project Status'  Lookup Values:  Approved, Pending, Closed)

Project Site A (Site Column: 'Project Status'  Lookup Values:  Approved, Pending, Closed)

The client wants to use SharePoint as the repository (or control point) for this value but also wants this value to appear in the Project Server 'side of the world', i.e. They want this field to be an option when sorting, grouping etc in Project Server Views.  So they want these two fields to always be aligned.

Does that make sense?

Nick

Sunday, March 19, 2017 10:28 PM
  • Hey Paul, sorry to bother you but were you able to come up with a strategy to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Nick

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:05 AM
  • Hello,

it would require custom development to keep the SharePoint Site columns choices in sync with the Project lookup table values.

Paul

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Thanks Paul, appreciate the feedback.

Regards

Nick

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:04 PM
  • .....if you're listening Microsoft.

This is one of THE most complained about 'features' of Project Server.  i.e.  Project Server and SharePoint are two very distinct products and that displaying SP data in Project Central views is not possible and vice versa i.e. ECFs in SP sites.

You shouldn't have to go to Project Server (ECFs, PDPs) AND go to SharePoint sites to complete a 'form'...but you have to because ECFs are limited to '1:1' or simple data structures.  Just try creating a multi-year forecast using an ECF - you can't.

And just try combining Project Server (i.e. ECFs) and SharePoint (Project Sites) together so Users aren't having to navigate all over the place to find their information....without a report or some custom code, it's not possible.

Huge, painful and rather stupid limitation of the 'one' platform.

Please do something about it!

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:22 AM
  • You could look at 3rd party products such as Fluent Pro's Lookup Manager:

https://www.fluentpro.com/project-server/other-products/products-for-project-server-2013/

I have never used it though so can't comment / recommend the product etc.

Paul

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Paul - I can't say I'd be happy recommending this to a client however - why use the product at all if you have to 'patch the features' with other products!

Wednesday, May 03, 2017 11:40 AM