none
Windows 7 Does Not List SMB Shares for a new NAS device

Question

• Windows 7 seems to be lacking the capability that used to exist in Windows XP, and I believe prior versions of Windows, that allowed the user to "Search" for "Networks".  This was quite useful partly because the nature of Windows Networking is that when computers get turned on and off network shares naturally come and go.  Is there some way to request that Windows 7 go looking for a device that you know is there but Windows does not seem to fully recognize?

While this has generally been a persistent problem with Windows 7 it has also seemed to be intermittent in the sense that eventually these network shares are discovered and then listed.  However, I'm now having a very hard, predictable, failure with a new NAS device I've recently added to my network.  In that, the shares on this device never get listed in the left panel of Windows Explorer under "Network".  This happens even though the device is discovered and identified in the right panel of Windows Explorer.  Furthermore, I am able to map drive letters to the shares on this device.  Also this Windows 7 computer is finding the shares for other Windows systems, both Windows 7 and prior versions, as well as another NAS without any difficulty.  In that, the problem is only associated with the new NAS.

What is even more mystifying is that I have another Windows 7 system running on the same network where all of the shares are listed in the left panel of Windows Explorer.  In that, it works as expected.  These computers have been on the network for a long time and I've done everything I can think of to configure them the same.

There must be something I've overlooked!  I'd be grateful for some help.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please take a check if the following policies could help here:

Local Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options 

Find the policy:

Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)

If this setting is enabled, change it to Disabled;

If the above doesn't work, please try the following:

Computer Policy->Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options

Network security:

Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers ALLOW ALL

Here is the reference: Windows 7: Unable to Access SAMBA Share from Windows 7

https://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/322851-unable-access-samba-share-windows-7-a.html

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:54 AM
  • No help.  Findings on the subject computer are as follows:

• "Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always)" was disabled.
    • "Restrict NTLM: Outgoing NTLM traffic to remote servers ALLOW ALL" was changed from "Not defined" to "Allow All" but according to explanation supplied "Allow All" is what happens when the setting is not defined.

These references seem to refer to an inability to access the share.  I would say that being able to map the share to a drive letter and then use this drive normally means that I am able to access the share without difficulty.  My problem is that Windows Explorer does not display these shares in the left panel as it should and as it does for other shares to include both other Windows computers as well as an older NAS device.

Thursday, July 5, 2018 7:07 PM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 8:45 AM
  • Well I wouldn't say  the problem is solved.  However, there is some more information that I'd say is relevant.  After a fair amount of time as in some number of days the share in question does appear in Windows Explorer.  In that, without taking any overt action the subject share all of a sudden appears in Windows Explorer.  The first time I noticed this was while I was using a Linux (Ubuntu) system to access the share, which causes me to speculate that the change was attributable to other activity on my network.  However, I'm still without any reliable way to have Windows 7 recognize and display the share in Windows Explorer.  It does show up very occasionally.  Please notice that the share is working fine when mapped to a drive letter.

I suppose what is no surprise is that Windows (any version) behaves in such an unpredictable manner and nobody can figure out why.

• Edited by SnookRed Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:59 AM
    Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:57 AM