Product Key blocked by Microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell T5500 that suffered a motherboard failure; I replaced the MB but the system would not boot. Windows was pre-installed, so I do not have installation discs to re-install the original OS. I have a Win7 Ultimate bought for a project that did not materialise, so has never been used; I did a clean install of this with automatic activation, but now I am getting notifications that Windows is not activated.

I have tried re-entering the Product Key but get the message that the Key is blocked.

I have tried telephone activation but the 9-group ID number is not accepted.

What can I do?

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:33 AM

All replies

• Hi fircroftstar.

You have an OEM license for Windows that is bound to the hardware it has been sold with: motherboard's replacement is a major change that will make the hardware the Windows license was activated on not recognized anymore by the Windows installation program.
    You have to contact Dell Support and ask for assistance or use that Windows 7 Ultimate license if you have a Retail product key code for that; since you wrote that automatic activation is not working fine, you could try activating it by phone.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 1:02 PM
  • Changing motherboard belongs to major change, device information has been changed completely, Microsoft activation center doesn’t have this new device information, so Windows cannot re-activate itself by digital license.

You have a Win7 Ultimate bought for a project that did not materialize, is it a retail Window 7 license or MAK? If not, this key should be a MSDN or TechNet Product Keys, which has been used by others that you don’t know, look at the following case.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/activation-product-key-blocked-by-microsoft/630c4e4e-df2c-4f26-909b-520df0d561bf

For current scenario, you need to contact Dell for an activated OEM system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:19 AM