none
Windows fails to start after running Sysprep RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to create a Windows 7 Embedded image that can be deployed to multiple computers. I'm new to this so please be gentle. Here is the process:

• Used Image Configuration Editor to create my base image that is bootable from a USB stick.
    • Installed the image on my embedded device.
    • At the point where it asks me to create a user, I press Shift+Ctrl+F3 to boot in as an Admin.
    • I make all my changes to the image.
    • I run sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown
    • For testing, I would then reboot the computer

My problem is that after running sysprep the computer wont boot. The error Status is 0xc000000F and Info is "Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt"

At first I though it might be a driver that I was installing after booting into the Admin mode, so I didn't install anything and just ran sysprep - same error.

Does anyone have an idea what could be going wrong?

Thanks!

Thursday, November 20, 2014 6:32 PM

Answers

• Nope, Audit mode is for OEM's, IT departments rarely use Audit Mode.

IN fact, no where in the MDT or SCCM/OSD documentation will there be any reference to Audit Mode.

Audit mode implies that we will eventually want to put the machine back into a mode just *before* OOBE setup, and IT departments rarely want their users to go through an "experience" if the process can be automated.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Marked as answer by daaboots Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:25 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:49 PM

All replies

• Typically I don't recomend audit mode to configure a machine (Shift+Ctrl+F3). Additionally, don't forget to check the sysprep.log files to *CONFIRM* that sysprep was successfull. Did you capture the image to a *.wim file or just tried to use the machine after the reboot?

Friday, November 21, 2014 5:51 AM
  • Really, don't use Audit mode? Everything I've read says to make all your changes in Audit mode and then run sysprep.

Normally I would use Imagex to capture a .wim image, but right now for testing I just tried to use the machine after rebooting.

I'll take a look at the log files and see if there is anything suspicious there.

Friday, November 21, 2014 1:31 PM
  • Nope, Audit mode is for OEM's, IT departments rarely use Audit Mode.

IN fact, no where in the MDT or SCCM/OSD documentation will there be any reference to Audit Mode.

Audit mode implies that we will eventually want to put the machine back into a mode just *before* OOBE setup, and IT departments rarely want their users to go through an "experience" if the process can be automated.

• Marked as answer by daaboots Tuesday, November 25, 2014 2:25 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2014 9:49 PM