none
Windows ICD Deployement Fails

Question

• As the title says, I'm using a customized provisioning package with ICD to deploy a WIM image (stock win10 vlk) with my scanstate created ppkg attached.

My whole process:

1. Deploy win10 on VM, boot into Audit mode
    2. Make customizations and install software.
    3. Capture with scanstate. (Copied windows setup sources into root of amd64)
    4. Import ppkg and attach to stock WIM
    5. make customizations
    6. create clean install media
    7. plug into computer
    8. computer gets past the first screen, and proceeds to "installing windows"
    9. gets to 64%, reboots
    10. gets to 92%, reboots
    11. starts again at 64%, and reboots at 92%
    12. This repeats infinitely. (left it over night even)

Is there something I'm missing?

I'm making a 64bit win10 pro 1607 build.

ICD reports 0 invalid customizations. I tell scanstate to capture /apps and that's it

I pulled the HDD from the target system, so if there's some kind of error file I can look for. let me know... %windir%\logs\cbs is empty.

I'm pulling my hair out here. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

EDIT:

Found this under %wnidir%\Panther\UnattendGC\setuperr.log

Looks like this occurred over 475 times over night during the install.

2017-03-29 05:42:37, Error                        [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation.  Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80071501

• Edited by DatsiK96 Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:41 PM grammar
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:19 PM

Answers

• Another update, used just the provisioning package captured by scanstate, and it worked. Booted into windows, all apps were there.

Problem was the ICD configurations. Found another log inside the panther folder that showed exactly what the issue was. Apparently, if you type in a password and tell it "plaintext" is "false", like you used to in WSIM, it doesn't convert it to a securestring, instead it makes windeploy believe it needs to be decoded, when it failed, it rebooted the system and tried to pick up where it left off.

Testing it now to see if it fixes all issues. I do find it interesting that ICD doesn't take care of that for you. I changed "plaintext" to "NOT CONFIGURED" hoping it changes it to a securestring automatically, but doesn't look like it does.

Will update with results.

• Marked as answer by DatsiK96 Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:32 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:02 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

The below is a similar case that I could find online. Please check if the solution provided in the following link helps.

Windows anniversary error code 0x80071501
    "The noted error code indicates a Data Control error (No such interface is supported.)
    Apparently you have an unsupported data control installed on your system. You can find and uninstall the offending control, uninstall Office (and or other office type suites) entirely, stop any web servers, etc... or just do a clean installation of Windows using the instructions at: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall"
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-anniversary-error-code-0x80071501/e686690b-da93-4a80-abc5-e6b20e5dea18

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

This is a fresh deployment, the target system doesn't have an OS installed.

The provisioning package has Office installed, is that what the problem is?

Do I just need to redo the image?

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:58 PM
  • Just an update, I removed the provisioning package I captured with scanstate and deployed just the ICD configurations and it gets passed "Installing Windows" but now it doesn't actually boot into Windows, it just goes into an infinite boot loop.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Another update, used just the provisioning package captured by scanstate, and it worked. Booted into windows, all apps were there.

Problem was the ICD configurations. Found another log inside the panther folder that showed exactly what the issue was. Apparently, if you type in a password and tell it "plaintext" is "false", like you used to in WSIM, it doesn't convert it to a securestring, instead it makes windeploy believe it needs to be decoded, when it failed, it rebooted the system and tried to pick up where it left off.

Testing it now to see if it fixes all issues. I do find it interesting that ICD doesn't take care of that for you. I changed "plaintext" to "NOT CONFIGURED" hoping it changes it to a securestring automatically, but doesn't look like it does.

Will update with results.

• Marked as answer by DatsiK96 Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:32 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:02 PM
  • That was the problem.

However I'm noticing that the startlayout didn't deploy and it's set to the exported xml file I set.

This can be closed.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:32 PM