Steady State - Disk Protection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I was trying to enable the Disk Protection portion of Steady State, but after completing about 75% of the cache file creation, right at the part that says "installing driver", a message came back saying: Windows Disk Protection installation was not successful.  I would appreciate if you could guide me into resolving this issue. Thanks.
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 9:17 PM

Answers

• Well, this is what I did, unfortunately I did not apply good troubleshooting skills to specifically isolate the issue, but it is now working:  I first checked the page file settings, it was set for the C: drive only, so I decided to set it as "Managed by Windows", then from SteadyState, I checked the cache file size, and reduced it to 50% (it was 53%), after that I ran defragmentation.  Althought I did those things in order, I also performed other computer tasks in between, like removing some programs and installing a few others, there were also a few reboots in between, so I can't really say what exactly fixed it, if I had to guess, I would say it was the page file and the cache file size.  Either way thank you all for your help.  I am about to open another thread for a slow logon.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 3:47 PM

All replies

• same thing is saying the same thing to me....i have tried on 3 computers and the disk protection installation allways says it was not successful...can anyone help....thanks in advance...
    Sunday, June 24, 2007 1:37 AM
  • Hi, please perform a disk defragment on the system drive and try again.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:07 AM
  • i tried that and all 3 computers...still got the same msg...
    Monday, June 25, 2007 3:32 PM
  • Is there any error message in event log indicating the failure of enabling WDP(windows disk protection)?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:20 AM
  • also you can run a setup MPS report after reproduing the issue and send the reports to the workspace for me to check:

the setup version MPS tool can be downloaded from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

Workspace

==========

(Please choose "Standard" when uploading files.) :

WorkspaceURL:  ( https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=29c3671e-1e5a-49ac-95ac-f7baf6db1f24 )
    Password: NrggrN8_euBBh]z

Note: Due to formatting that can occur in e-mail clients the above link may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when entering the location into your browser.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:40 AM
  • no.....ive tried 6 times......dont know why it wont enabler ..does other posters have this problem
    thanks for trying to help Sammy Yu
    val88...
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:53 AM
  • thanks Sammy Yu
    i will do that....
    val88
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:56 AM
  • Dear Jbastidas,

I experienced the same problem the first time I tried to activate Windows Disk Protection on a machine upgraded from the Shared Computer Toolkit v. 1.1 to SteadyState v. 2.

There are two partitions on this machine, with the second, unprotected partition holding the event logs and the pagefile.  The WDP installation only succeeded after removing the pagefile from the second partition and, of course, rebooting.  This resulted in a machine with no pagefile, but this time the WDP installation went o.k.

I was so baffled by this that at first I supposed the WDP cache file (C:\Cache.WDP) also functioned as the pagefile!  This is not the case.  I was unable to reproduce the phenomenon, because the second time I tried to activate WDP after installing SteadyState v. 2.0 on the same machine everything went fine the first time around.

What I experienced can't be attributed to disk fragmentation either, since in both cases I started from the same Ghost disk image.  The only difference between the two installation procedures is that in the second one I activated WDP immediately after the SteadyState v. 2.0 installation.

HTH.

Sincerely,

Jan J.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:40 AM
  • Jan, thanks for the detailed assistance, I remember assigning a page file to the second partition, I'll check it out when I get home and see if that takes care of the problem.  Thank you all for the help and follow up.  I will post back the outcome, highly likely today.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7:42 PM
  • Well, this is what I did, unfortunately I did not apply good troubleshooting skills to specifically isolate the issue, but it is now working:  I first checked the page file settings, it was set for the C: drive only, so I decided to set it as "Managed by Windows", then from SteadyState, I checked the cache file size, and reduced it to 50% (it was 53%), after that I ran defragmentation.  Althought I did those things in order, I also performed other computer tasks in between, like removing some programs and installing a few others, there were also a few reboots in between, so I can't really say what exactly fixed it, if I had to guess, I would say it was the page file and the cache file size.  Either way thank you all for your help.  I am about to open another thread for a slow logon.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 3:47 PM
  • Help!  I cannot get the SteadyState disk protection to install.  I ran a defragmentation and changed the page file settings.  I don't know how to reduce the cache file size in SteadyState.  The disk protection installation for me stops before it even finishes creating the cache file.  This was a clean installation (never had the previous toolkit on it).  The only thing that bothers me that is different is I cannot get the User Hive Cleanup Service to uninstall (I installed this before I knew there was a new version of the toolkit).  Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:45 PM
  • Hi.

I had the same problem the first time I turned on disk Protection. A simple restart of the computer helped me.  There was no problem turning on disk Protection after the restart.

Monday, July 2, 2007 9:40 AM
  • UPDATE!  The disk protection turned on AFTER running a check disk.  The Hive Cleanup Service and Partition Magic programs were uninstalled before the check disk, but a restart and another attempt was completed before the check disk.  I don't know if that does anything, but seemed to work for us.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:40 AM
  • I'm relatively new to "Steady State" an we are trying to use it to replace a product "deep freeze" that we have used in the past at our library.

I have a very annoying situation:

- library manager asked for for quick change to "steady stated" patron system. 
    - I had a couple of minutes before I had to go
    - I logged in as admin, took off disk protection, made the change 
    - Turned disk protection back on and it says "disk must be defragmented before windows disk protection can be turned on"
    - I really HAD to turn disk protection back on, so said continue with the defrag
    - It gives me the friendly "this may take from a few minutes to a few hours" and off it went
    - It is 90 minutes later, and it is still grinding away WITH NO PROGRESS INDICATOR AT ALL
    - I have no choice but to stay until it is done, and I can't even tell my SO how long I am going to be!

So here are 2 "misfeatures" that combine to produce a pretty frustrating experience. 

- Why could SS not have warned me before I turned off DP? They I could at least have backd out.
    - Why was the progress bar removed from Defrag? Even DOS was better than that?

Anyway, just wanted to share that with someone to lower my blood pressure   :-\

Have a nice holiday weekend. 

I plan to if I can ever get out of here (yes, defrag is still grinding away, with no hint as to when it will be done).

Saturday, April 11, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Hi,

I wish I had some real answers for you regarding defrag.  I find the neutering of the defrag UI quite vexing too.

As for SteadyState not warning when you disable WDP that you will have to defrag before turning WDP back on, well, it's simply not able to know that at that time.  The structure of the WDP cache file is very sensitive to the number of fragments that the cache file is split up into when it's created.  If there are too many fragments in the cache file, or if the size of the first fragment is too small, enabling WDP fails and prompts you to defragment the drive.  At the time you disable WDP, we don't want to spend a lot of time analyzing the disk's fragmentation level under the assumption that you might enable WDP again soon.  Even if we did that, any changes you make to the disk after WDP is installed will change the fragmentation pattern on the disk, invalidating any previous analysis we might have done. 

Next time, I'd recommend not disabling WDP in this scenario.  Instead, you could switch it to "retain all changes permanently" so that the change you're asked to make sticks.  When you finish making the changes, reboot--it's at reboot time that the changes from the previous session are made permanent.  Once the systme comes back up, you can switch back to "remove all changes at restart" so that unwanted changes are discarded each time the system reboots.

The easiest method, though, is not to change WDP at all.  If WDP is in "remove all changes at restart" mode, every time a user with administrator privileges logs off, restarts, or shuts down, he will be prompted about keeping the current set of changes permanently.  If you choose to save those changes permanently, WDP reboots, commits the current set of changes, then automatically returns to discard mode when the system comes back up.
    Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 9:46 PM
  • I'm doing a bit of research and testing with StedayState's disk protection as well. I'm running into he same problem everyone else is highlighting on this forum as well. SteadyState may work for some and it may be a sufficient free tool if you don't need to do much maintenance on your environment but the disk protection technology seems a bit buggy and inefficient. I recommend Faronics DeepFreeze. The licensing costs money but it has always been reliable and works like a charm! Nice Admin console too.
    Monday, June 1, 2009 11:53 PM