none
DPM 2010 not works IBM TS 2900 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi...

Recently bought an IBM TS 2900 and also the DPM 2010 (System Center Server Management Suite Datacenter).

DPM was installed and it recognizes the autoload (IBM TotalStorage 3572 Tape Library), but apparently the DPM can not properly manage the autoloader. DPM displays correctly the number of slots, but the tapes are in the UNKNOWN state (column TAPE LABEL) and the option TAPE MARK AS FREE is disabled. EVENTVWR displays the following error:

Log Name:      DPM Alerts
    Source:        DPM-EM
    Date:          8/2/2010 5:05:05 PM
    Event ID:      3316
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      DPMSERVER2010.domain.local
    Description:
    The detailed inventory of tape failed for the following reason: (ID: 3316)
    DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID: 24052)

If it is incompatible with DPM 2010 TS2900, and if I installed DPM 2007, does it work?

Thanks!!!

• Moved by Parag AgrawalModerator Wednesday, August 4, 2010 9:59 AM The issue at hand is related to tape protection. (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, August 2, 2010 9:47 PM

Answers

• TS2900 is not yet suppoprted by DPM 2010, we are working with IBM to add support for this library.
    Thanks Sachin Durge [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hi folks!

I would like to share the information that since March this year, Microsoft released the hotfix that fixes the incompatibility with the TS 2900. I had already received this hotfix at the end of last year through the DPM development team, but until then, it was still a beta, but evidently it had corrected the problem.

This hotfix rollup resolves the following issues:

Data Protection Manager 2010 does not support the IBM System Storage TS2900 Tape Autoloader backup, recovery, or detailed inventory operations. The tape is left behind in the drive after any of these operations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465832

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm not familiar with the IBM TS 2900, you may want to contact IBM to verify it's compatible with DPM, however if it identifies itself as a IBM 3572 tape library, it should work.

See if the following article helps you:

978901 Fast inventory fails when you try to use an IBM 35XX Series mainframe with Data Protection Manager 2007
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;978901

Once you get the library issue resolved, You can simply right-click the unknown tapes and choose the "identify unknown tape" - that should load the tape into a drive and if it's a raw tape, mark the tape as free, once it shows free, DPM can use it for backups.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Do a detailed inventory of the new Tape library. This will catalog all the tapes present in the library. You can then select and mark some tapes as free, which will then be used by DPM to back up data[to]. 

Thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Thanks for the help, however, did not work!!! The DPM 2010 still reports that the LIBRARY is constantly in use and when I run the FAST INVENTARY, I get the errors in the EVENTVWR (DPM-ALERTS) reporting  the same errors. This second error mentions that the tape is in the Tape Drive but all the tapes are in slots. Is there something else I can do?

Thanks!

Date:          8/3/2010 10:10:53 AM
    Computer:      dpm.domain.local
    Description:
    DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID: 24052)

Date:          8/3/2010 10:12:38 AM
    Computer:      dpm.domain.local
    Description:
    Operation failed since the slot 8 in library IBM TotalStorage 3572 Tape Library was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive LTO Tape drive (ID: 24027)

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

has it ever worked? i ask because i had a similar issue with a IBM library which was sorted by installing the non exclusive driver.

regards,

Alex

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:23 PM
  • If you are using IBM tape device; There are 2 diffrent drivers for IBM:
    Exclusive and Nonexclusive. You should use nonexclusive drivers for DPM
    (Usually exclusive drivers are used by Tivoli)

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Bad luck ... I tried the file version 6.2.0.7 (latest) both exclusive and non exclusive, and also tried with version 6.2.0.3 (IBMTape.x64_w08_r2_6203_LTO3-4_Cert)

Interesting that with the exclusive version, DPM 2010 was informed that the LIBRARY was on IDLE, but after send command to erase the tape, again the DPM said that the LIBRARY is in use and Error Event ID 3316 and non-exclusive does not working, reporting the LIBRARY is in use.

And if I installing DPM 2007, Could it works?

What alternatives I have now?

Thanks!!!

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:50 PM
  • Hi

What firmware version does your library have? Can you try to do an upgrade?

Does your DPM server have perhaps some tape/library managing software installed (not in any way connecting to the DPM server role)? Reading your errors there seems to be something thaking ownership of your library.

Best Regards Robert Hedblom Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:25 PM
  • The DPM server doesn't use any other driver than Microsoft or the vendor produced drivers som downgrading to DPM 2007 wouldn't perhaps be the right way to go.

There is something taking ownership of your library. A function or IBM specific program perhaps.

Best Regards Robert Hedblom Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 8:27 PM
  • I'm using the latest version of firware.

I do not know =[   I just know I need to make work, because I received an email from Microsoft stating that the DPM 2007 was working fine on some customers with the IBM TS 2900, but do not really know what to do!

The README file mentions that the driver NON-EXCLUSIVE mentions that is used for DPM.

install_nonexclusive.exe:

install_nonexclusive.exe should be used by applications (such as Microsoft Data
            Protection Manager
    or Microsoft Removable Storage Manager) permitting multiple open
     handles from a host to a drive to exist at the same time.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:04 PM
  • I would open a ticket with IBM to help you get the library working, there may be other requirements and IBM would be the best to help you.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 9:44 PM
  • This issue is already discussed earlier in newsgroup, there are some operations that do work well with some libraries. Copy pasting the earlier discussion for future use:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/35798579/detailed-tape-inventory-failing.aspx

Specifically in this case the Problem details in Library Driver is:
    Changer has following feature flag present:-
    CHANGER_PREDISMOUNT_EJECT_REQUIRED, The changer requires an explicit command issued through a mass storage driver (tape, disk, or CD-ROM, for example) to
    eject media from a drive before the changer can move the media from a drive to a slot. If the changer ejects media automatically, the miniclass driver should clear this flag.

If this flag is present DPM does a Drive accessibility check before doing actual move media. The IOCTL called are: IOCTL_INIT_ELEMNT_STATUS &
    IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS

If in the result of  IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS drive is not accessible (i.e ELEMENT_STATUS_ACCESS not present) DPM will fail the dismount command. The Library is not responding correctly when due to an issue with the driver:- IOCTL_CHANGER_GET_ELEMENT_STATUS should return the
    drive as accessible even if media is present in the drive. This is not happening hence its failing.

Thanks,
    Praveen D [MSFT]
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:38 AM Removed duplication
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:21 AM
  • TS2900 is not yet suppoprted by DPM 2010, we are working with IBM to add support for this library.
    Thanks Sachin Durge [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:08 AM
  • Hello Sachin, plaese do you have any new informatoin about ability to use type changer IBM  TS2900 with DPM 2010 or 2007, thanks a lot for your answer.
    • Proposed as answer by Mahunnop Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:04 AM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:34 AM
  • Does IBM ULT3850 support DPM2010 right now ?
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:20 AM
  • i do also want to know does IBM ULT3580 support DPM2010?

BR

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Hello, I just installed System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 QFE Rollup [KB 2250444] to our DPM server 2010 with IBM TS 2900 Tape library and there is still the same problem, I had restarted server and again install tape library. Error is: DPM could not reserve the drive resource because one of required drive resources is not online or it needs cleaning or servicing. (ID 24052). Did I any bad. Thanks for any help.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 2:38 PM
  • The DPM 2010 QFE [KB 2250444] does not include the fix for the IBM TS 2900 tape library.  We are still finalizing the fix and barring any problems should be included in the next DPM 2010 QFE due out 1st quarter 2011.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:50 PM
  • I am having the same problem with the TS2900 and DPM2010, installed the DPM2010 QFE 1Q2011 and still doesn't work, can you confirm that the fix is in that QFE?
    Monday, May 2, 2011 6:57 PM
  •  

After installing the March rolloup: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465832 that contains the fix for the IBM System Storage TS2900, you must also add this registry key.

• For the IBM Library and others: Add the following registry key and value:
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent
    DWORD: RSMCompatMode
    Value: 29 (Decimal)

• Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Monday, May 2, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Have the same problem with HP 1x8 G2 Sorageworks Autoloader, already aplied march rollup and maded the regestry key any sugestions? Regards
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Hi folks!

I would like to share the information that since March this year, Microsoft released the hotfix that fixes the incompatibility with the TS 2900. I had already received this hotfix at the end of last year through the DPM development team, but until then, it was still a beta, but evidently it had corrected the problem.

This hotfix rollup resolves the following issues:

Data Protection Manager 2010 does not support the IBM System Storage TS2900 Tape Autoloader backup, recovery, or detailed inventory operations. The tape is left behind in the drive after any of these operations.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2465832

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:02 PM