none
Print Gantt chart without wasting paper RRS feed

• Question

• I have few tasks but a long date range to plot- a short and wide gantt chart. Is there a way to wrap the gantt chart onto one page or set printing options so that it only plots say the top 4 inches of each page?
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 4:43 PM

All replies

• KYRep,

If all you want to show is the long tasks I think you best bet is to set the timescale to months, or years as appropriate so you will be able to see the start and finish together in the view. There is little benefit to having a fine timescale (e.g. days) if all it will show is a looooooong Gantt bar.

And no, you can't "wrap" the Gantt Chart. You can however control the tasks that are printed by employing a filter. Set up a filter for just those long tasks you wan to show and then print with the filter applied.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Thanks John, but I need to print all of the tasks. They are not long tasks, but there is a lot of them and each time I print it I need to print the whole 47 day span with visibility to the day. Right now I'm plotting it on size C (22 inches) so it is 4 pages, but I was trying to find a way to plot it without so much blank space below my task list, as I have to status and print it daily or weekly.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Sorry I wasn't clear- I have so few bars showing because all of the tasks roll up into just 6 bars.
    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:42 PM
  • KYRep,

So you're only printing summary lines, correct?

Your only real option then is to set the print scale to get more on a page but that can lead to poor readability.

Instead of printing every day or week, how about saving to PDF and then let the viewers see it on-screen versus hard copy.

John

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 6:55 PM
  • John,

Yes that is correct.

I would love to do it electronically, but unfortunately they have to be printed and hung in a manufacturing setting.

I guess I will just keep slicing off all the excess plotter paper. I think the only other option would be to convert to pdf, crop and display on one PowerPoint slide and plot from there- but that would take too much time to do daily for multiple files.

Thanks for your help, John.

Kelly

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 7:19 PM
  • KYRep,

Okay, now that you know you can't get there from here the specific way you want it, you best bet is to either live with it, or, reassess your needs and then take a different approach. For example, do you really need a Gantt graphic printed every day to hang up, or would some well thought out metrics actually be more useful on a daily basis with perhaps a weekly or bi-weekly Gantt print out.

If you can get a hit, maybe it's time to bunt.

John

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:31 PM