none
DPM 2010 & Exchange Edge Transport 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I know it is not supprted to install DPM 2010 on a box running Exchange or Sharepoiint. However, is it supported (or would it be okay) to install it on a bix running only the Exchange Edge Transport role? I imagine it wouldn't be a problem as there is no mailbox store. Has anyone tried this?
    • Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Friday, August 13, 2010 6:06 AM Moving to DPM Exchange Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,

As per:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399021.aspx

"DPM is designed to be run on a dedicated, single-purpose computer. The DPM server is not supported on any of the following:
      A computer on which the Application Server role is installed
      A computer that is a System Center Operations Manager management server
      A computer on which Exchange Server is running
      A computer that is a node of a cluster etc..."

Although the link provided above does not explicitly list all of the things that can not be or should not be on the DPM server, the first sentence above sums it up. "DPM is designed to be run on a dedicated, single-purpose computer."

I have seen many additional roles added to DPM and not have any problems and I have seen just the opposite to where with the addition of extra roles there was nothing but problems.

A good set of questions to ask is:

Is it supported?<---No, it is not.
    Can it run and if so, will it run reliably?<---There can be no gaurantees on this as DPM was not tested, to my knowledge, with wide and varying types of other roles and apps running on it concurrently because it was designed to run as a dedicated, "single-purpose" server.

Thanks
    Shane

Saturday, August 14, 2010 12:20 AM