none
Suggestions for resource pools for a volunteer organization? RRS feed

• Question

• After watching a non profit for a couple years struggle with task reminders and staff burnout I want to take on the task of building a timeline using Project Professional. Often times it's a need for a high level view of a project and making sure specific deadlines are met, there's no labor costs, no mandatory working hours / holiday hours.

Our structure is one that runs a convention, so there are many roles and departments within our organization that tasks are assigned to, i.e. Web Team, Registration, Programming, Quartermaster, Secretary, Merchandise, Treasurer, etc..  but that does not mean they are unique to the individual.  Mike may only be the Quartermaster, where Jim may be a the Secretary and on our Web Team.  The Web Team may have Jim, but also Eric and David.  I want to make sure as the timeline is built so that tasks belong to a role, but at the same time ascertain when the individual behind those roles is being asked too much.  I expect as I learn more about the organizations timeline is that we have slow periods where not much is going on, and peak times when too much is being asked of the people who took on those roles.

I'm coming at this from a blank slate still learning the program, watching videos and reading how-to's, but because I don't see a way to link resources the way I want when assigning tasks I'm not sure about the best practices to consider.  If anyone's got thoughts I'd love to hear them, I hope my description made sense.

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

When you create your resources use the group field and enter the role in there (Web Team etc).  Also, it would be worth using a custom text field as the role also, and associate this with each task (and check the checkbox to roll it down to assignment level). Using both of these features should get you on your way.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:49 AM