Dual boot when installing XP after Vista Beta? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently facing the following problem:

On a HD with 3 partitions, I had XP installed on partition 1, and Vista Beta 2 (Build 5384) on partition 2. Dual-booting between the two systems was possible without any problem - the Vista installation being the one mainly used.

Now, I needed a clean XP installation, and installed XP Pro / SP2 over the old one on partition 1 - unfortunately, losing the dual-boot capability. Manually editing boot.ini on my XP installation didn't help - it hangs when trying to boot from the Vista partition.

My question: How can I get my Vista installation running again? Will reinstalling Beta 2 over the old partition keep my files and settings? And if not: How about installing Vista RC2 over the Beta2?

// Note: From my XP installation, I can access most of the files on the Vista partition - but not all. In particular, I can't figure out where Outlook 2007 stores its data? As an alternative for resolving the boot problem, any hint about how to access the Outlook 2007 .pst data would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance!

Guido

Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:04 AM