High memory Usage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Memory usage by all my applications at first double upon starting the system and then triple. I read some of the topics similar to the matter, although they seem to have had extremely high usage such as 95% ect. were as mine is at a tolerable 40-60% its a big significance when I'm running video editing and graphics design software, I have tried Clean booting and setting a custom size allocated to virtual memory.

I'm currently using Windows 7, 3GB RAM and AMD Athlon II P320 Dual-Core Processor 2.10 GHz, I also have Norton Anti Virus.                                      

Here is some screen-shots, please tell me if you need something specific;

task manager processes and performance tabs.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/xWhitewolf7/processes_tab.png

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad258/xWhitewolf7/preformance_tab.png

• Edited by MissChaos Friday, December 16, 2011 3:58 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:56 PM

Answers

• That helped with the errors in event viewer but all my applications are still running three times the size they normally do. I checked a few other threads and people had similar problems where explorer's memory use kept getting larger, however, they had left their computers on for long periods of time, i use mine a lot but usually never have it running over night and clean boot seemed to resolve their problem. I tried ending a few processes with the task manager, after ending the ones i had access  to like explorer and desktop windows manager nothing changed so i think its Norton's ccSvcHst.

Edit: Fixed!

i'm not sure which did it

- ending all processes and rebooting computer.

or

- disabling Norton's firewall and anti-virus rebooting, then turning it back on, most likely this is what fixed it

thanks for all the insight and help

• Edited by MissChaos Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by MissChaos Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MissChaos Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:40 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:33 PM

All replies

• If it's a newer computer from a retail store (intended for home use), the answer may be that the computer came with lots of extra "utility" programs that run by default.  For example, I bought Toshiba's very cheapest laptop, and it was unacceptably slow until I uninstalled or turned off (set to not start) just about all the Toshiba utilities it came with.  After that, it runs perfectly fine.  Many computer makers do similar things to their computers, especially retail market computers.

Other possible explanations:  (as with above, these are all guesses)

• Running two "live scan" antiviruses at once (like Norton and Mcafee both at the same time, although that usually slows you down so much the system is unusable). 
    • Photoshop and Gimp and similar programs are huge: 3 GB may be borderline not enough memory, if that's what you're running.
    • Try IE without add-ons, if you're browsing while all this is going on.
    • Double check if there are updates for your graphics driver:  It could be one of those that borrows memory from the computer, or possibly just had a bug fix.  (It usually never hurts to update your video driver anyway)

Good luck!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:21 PM
  • If it's a newer computer from a retail store (intended for home use), the answer may be that the computer came with lots of extra "utility" programs that run by default.  For example, I bought Toshiba's very cheapest laptop, and it was unacceptably slow until I uninstalled or turned off (set to not start) just about all the Toshiba utilities it came with.  After that, it runs perfectly fine.  Many computer makers do similar things to their computers, especially retail market computers.

Other possible explanations:  (as with above, these are all guesses)

• Running two "live scan" antiviruses at once (like Norton and Mcafee both at the same time, although that usually slows you down so much the system is unusable). 
    • Photoshop and Gimp and similar programs are huge: 3 GB may be borderline not enough memory, if that's what you're running.
    • Try IE without add-ons, if you're browsing while all this is going on.
    • Double check if there are updates for your graphics driver:  It could be one of those that borrows memory from the computer, or possibly just had a bug fix.  (It usually never hurts to update your video driver anyway)

Good luck!

Thanks i appreciate the help, I've had it for a year now although this has been going on for a few months and the first thing I did when I got the new laptop was get rid of all the software I didn't need. The RAM is enough I've used the software for awhile now. I don't use IE although I have it installed. I do think the problem lies in the driver though. I just checked some drivers need an update, not sure if it'll help but i'll try it. thanks again, will update and how it goes.

• Edited by MissChaos Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:19 PM speeelling
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:03 PM
  • If you're in the mood to experiment (this is an unproven theory, just something to try for the heck of it), here's a little background:

• In approximately May to August 2010, a mystery problem appeared in XP that slowed down some computers (usually lower powered older computers, but not always), and the symptoms could be relieved by changing from "Microsoft Update" (which updates Windows, Office, other stuff) to "Windows Update" (which updates only Windows).  I believe you click "Settings" or something like that on the Windows Update main page.
    • Of course, every month or very frequently, people in this category should change to Microsoft Update, apply all the Office/other updates, then go back to Windows Update. 
    • That problem/solution existed in the "MVP Cloud" in some circles, and there was little word or attention to it from Microsoft given XP's pending retirement.

Since there seems to be more and more people starting to describe slowdowns for no particular reason on their Windows 7 computers, and since the posts seem eerily similar to the posts during the time of that XP issue, I'm going to say, "Maybe, it's possibly worth a try".  (My Win 7 computer isn't behaving like this, so I can't try this myself). 

If you try it and it helps, let us know?  (Wait a day or so before posting though: Early celebrating always jinxes you).

• Edited by johnqflorida Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:35 PM clarified
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Check the process or program consuming the most memory usage in task manager.

I suggest you to try putting your computer to Clean Boot,  Please refer the steps:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
     If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
    4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
    5. Click OK.
    6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
    7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.

If your issue is resolved after performing Clean Boot, then follow the steps mentioned in the following KB article to narrow down the exact source:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also, see the section on how return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 12:32 PM
  • Check the process or program consuming the most memory usage in task manager.

I suggest you to try putting your computer to Clean Boot, ........

As i stated in the OP, i have already tried the clean boot, thanks anyway

Anyone recommend some decent up to date software to check the drivers? i tried some and one showed my BIOS wasn't up to date, another one showed everything was, then another showed a few unnecessary updates.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Based on the screenshots your memory usage looks normal to me, you are below 30%

Number of processes running is also very low so you have done some cleanup in the system.

If you are still having memory problems then you need to check your applications for memory leaks.

I would start with “Resource Monitor” with that you should be able to point who is using most of memory.

Event viewer is another good place to look for things like that under Applications.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:18 PM
  • I do not think the memory usage behavior is not proper. Your memory is used by user mode processes that you can track, also it is used by kernel mode processes that you cannot track with Recouse Monitor and Task Manager.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:33 AM
  • Its svchost.exe, so what can i do to solve the memory leak?

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Follow this article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177415

do you have any of this in your event viewer

Event ID: 2020
    Source: Srv
    Description: The server was unable to allocate from the system paged pool because the pool was empty.

Event ID: 2019
    Source: Srv
    Description: The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty.

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:51 PM
  • in the event viewer it lists;

Event ID: 2      Source: Kernel-EventTracing

Session "Circular Kernel Context Logger" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000035

Event ID: 100       Source: CVHSVC

The description for Event ID 100 from source CVHSVC cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Event ID: 1002       Source: Application Hang

The program ccSvcHst.exe version 10.1.1.16 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel

Thursday, December 22, 2011 11:39 PM
  • I don't know if this will work but give it a try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/2189-event-viewer-errors.html

The circular kernel context logger takes frequent snapshots of the system into a 100MB RAM file (not on disk). It is needed.

To fix the "fail to start" error, find the following file in the %windir%\panther\ folder:

setup.etl

and rename it to

setup.old

It can stay in the \panther\ folder.

Reboot and all is done!

another suggestion is to turn off ipv6

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/7301c914-d476-4fb4-ac41-b07568f46057

• Edited by Brano Lukic Friday, December 23, 2011 1:52 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 1:41 AM
  • That helped with the errors in event viewer but all my applications are still running three times the size they normally do. I checked a few other threads and people had similar problems where explorer's memory use kept getting larger, however, they had left their computers on for long periods of time, i use mine a lot but usually never have it running over night and clean boot seemed to resolve their problem. I tried ending a few processes with the task manager, after ending the ones i had access  to like explorer and desktop windows manager nothing changed so i think its Norton's ccSvcHst.

Edit: Fixed!

i'm not sure which did it

- ending all processes and rebooting computer.

or

- disabling Norton's firewall and anti-virus rebooting, then turning it back on, most likely this is what fixed it

thanks for all the insight and help

• Edited by MissChaos Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:38 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MissChaos Saturday, December 24, 2011 12:40 AM
    Friday, December 23, 2011 5:33 PM