none
DNS A Record Best Practices RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm currently in the process of consolidating several data servers used to store company data in my environment. The Drives on the servers Data-server, Data-Server2, and Data-server3 are being P2V'd and then attached as VHDXs to the new virtual data storage server called Storage01. The OS drive has only the OS for the old servers so its discarded after the process is complete.

Once I retire, for instance data-server, I assign it's old IP to the nic of the new Storage01 as a secondary IP and create a DNS A record pointing any Data-Server DNS queries to the new Storage01.

This has always worked in the past for me but I am wondering what the Microsoft best practices are for a situation like this. I have been unable to find anything official from Microsoft on this. Is using DNS to accomplish this considered a bandaid? 

If I decided to retire the DNS name and IP along with the box I would have to touch ever machine and printer to rediredct services and folder to the new 

All my servers are 2012 R2.

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• You can use CNAME instead of A record if you want.  Also, if you use multiple name and you have old Windows version (XP / 2003 and lower) you may also need to add a registry key to allow client to connect to the new server

This registry key has to be set on your new Windows 2012 R2 Server

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    Value name: DisableStrictNameChecking
    Data type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 1

Also, if you want to allow kerberos authentication using your new server with the old names, be sure to transfer your SPN to your new server.  (This may require to rename your old server to not get duplicate name / SPN)

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

• Proposed as answer by John Lii Tuesday, November 15, 2016 5:47 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2016 4:49 PM
  • Hi CG,

Could the above reply be of help? If yes, you may mark that as answer, if not, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 18, 2016 7:41 AM