Permissions in WSS 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We have a scanningsolution that we have configured to scan into sharepoint. The files arrive as searchable PDF:s and get organised in a documentlibrary with folders for each day as the scans occur. The idea is then that the customer can search on the content of these PDF:s. So far everything works just fine but the customer we are doing this for wants to be able to publish this sharepoint site on their homepage so that their own customers can go in and search in the sharepoint library but with limited access.
    The scansoftware names the documents by a unique number that it finds by barcode on the documents, our customer can browse the whole document library and search both filenames and filecontent but they want their customer to be able to search only the filenames i.e. the unique number that the documents have and not the whole content of the file. They also don't want their customer to be able to browse the documentlibrary, they should only be able to search on the filenames.
    The indexing of the documents is done by Adobe PDF iFilter. Is this solution at all possible with WSS 3.0?

Thanks in advance

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:00 PM not a programming q (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Users can see items in results only if they have permission to see these items.

You can create a column to store file names and make this column indexed(settings>document library settings>indexed columns). Then you can create a scope to exclude PDF files from results.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, September 23, 2011 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Hi,

From your description it seems that you want your users to browse the filenames only and not the actual files.

I would suggest you to follow these steps:

1. Create a list B to save the file names and other data you want to expose the clients.

2, Create an event receiver in your document library and copy these data to the list whenever an item is uploaded or changed.

3. Now expose this list to your clients and scope of search should be this list only.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Users can see items in results only if they have permission to see these items.

You can create a column to store file names and make this column indexed(settings>document library settings>indexed columns). Then you can create a scope to exclude PDF files from results.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:27 AM
  • Hi,

From your description it seems that you want your users to browse the filenames only and not the actual files.

I would suggest you to follow these steps:

1. Create a list B to save the file names and other data you want to expose the clients.

2, Create an event receiver in your document library and copy these data to the list whenever an item is uploaded or changed.

3. Now expose this list to your clients and scope of search should be this list only.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:20 AM