none
GPP will not map drives when logging in immediately after reboot

Question

• Hello

I have been struggling with this for many years.  

Currently I have a 2012 R2 domain with Win 7 and Win 10 workstations, but I have seen this on every domain I have ever tested it on, not just mine.  

The problem is with mapping network drives with GPP.  When anyone logs in as soon as the login screen becomes available after a reboot, they will not get any network drives.  This happens 100% of the time on all computers.  If I wait for a few minutes before logging in the network drives are there 100% of the time.

If I run gpupdate after logging in the drives will map about 50% of the time.

I have the "Always wait for network at computer startup and logon" set on the GPO for the workstations and have confirmed it with RSOP.  And I know the network is up because I just spent all day trying to fix this from home using Teamviewer to log into my work computer.

I  could set the drives to reconnect but then instead of getting no drives on a quick login, I get an error message saying the drives couldn't be reconnected, and they all have a red X on them even though they work fine if you click on them.  This also only happens on a quick login.  I don't get an error if I wait a few minutes.

Is there anyone out there who has seen and resolved this issue?

• Edited by -Hutch- Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:23 AM
    Sunday, February 5, 2017 5:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Are you using the "Update" option or "Replace" option to map drives?
    I would suggest to consider using "Create". This way, it only creates the drives if they are not present and hence may not take as much time.
    In addition, please double check the DNS settings on the machine. In my experience, long logon times and long drive mappings could be often due to long lookup times because of a DNS issue.
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 6, 2017 6:09 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:28 AM