Getting Lync to show Non E.164 extension numbers RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer that is using Lync for IM and Presence and also as a simple click to dial.  In AD they have their Extension numbers populated in the ipPhone field and their DDI number in the telephoneNumber field. 

The problem is that Lync doesn't not show non E.164 numbers. I know that Lync solution is normally to say normalise them to the DDI number in E.164 but this is a problem as many of the users don't have DDI numbers and there is a large dial plan of 5000 users across many sites and they have a site code.

Eg

some users have a DDI number +1408 444 2222 but the extension is 530 2222  (ok you can normailse this) 

Some users have group DDIs, so may be +44 1782 799 710 but there extension could be 620 4420 (620 being the site code and 4420 being an extension number) 

other have no DDI so just a site code and extension 420 2233 

Even if you could normailse the nukber the users wabt to see the 7 digit number to dial not the full international number. 

Is their any way of getting just the 7 digit number to show in Lync?

Monday, November 7, 2011 12:30 PM

Answers

• Lync is designed not to show numbers that are not in E.164 format in the contact card, so there's no way to show just an extension (e.g. 620 4420) from AD without a leading +.

An option if you want to show extra numbers on the contact card in addition to the main DDI would be to normalise (using Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt) the extension to E.164, e.g. just prepend a +.

Not ideal, but it would at least get the extra numbers into Lync for you so they would be visible and able to be dialed (provided routes exist in your voice policies).

Jeff Schertz has written a really useful post on this that explains a bit more about the E.164 requirement.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:32 PM

All replies

• Lync is designed not to show numbers that are not in E.164 format in the contact card, so there's no way to show just an extension (e.g. 620 4420) from AD without a leading +.

An option if you want to show extra numbers on the contact card in addition to the main DDI would be to normalise (using Company_Phone_Number_Normalization_Rules.txt) the extension to E.164, e.g. just prepend a +.

Not ideal, but it would at least get the extra numbers into Lync for you so they would be visible and able to be dialed (provided routes exist in your voice policies).

Jeff Schertz has written a really useful post on this that explains a bit more about the E.164 requirement.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Thanks for the reply it was as I suspected but hoped that there was a way. I could put + in front of the extension numbers but then +620 4420 would get confused in the dial plan with a country code of 62 or 620. I think I will have to use +0 so +0 620 4420 as there is no country code +0 and the PBX could strip that out easy enough, just looks a bit weird.  

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:13 AM