fucking webcam won't work RRS feed

• Question

• hey i just got a new fujutsi siemens computer and i got a new webcam with it not sure but i think the name for it is SN9C120 not sure tho but... i have installed all the drivers that came with on the disc but the damn thing still don't want to work all i get is a black screen when i try to test it acording to fujutsi it's supposed to work with vista (which is what i got with the comp) so i would like to know if someone here got the same prob as me but fixed it somehow if so then HOW THE HELL DID YA FIX IT!!!
    Monday, November 12, 2007 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Although Fujutsi (or the webcam manufacturer) should still be the best one to support this issue, I hope the following suggestions are helpful:

1.    Make sure that the webcam lens is not covered and the room is well-lighted. 

2.    Download and install the latest device driver for your webcam. For more information, contact the webcam manufacturer.

3.    Can you use the webcam on another computer (if possible, choose one running Windows Vista)? If not, I think it is very likely a hardware damage.

4.    Run the diagnostic software from the manufacturer of your webcam to make sure that the camera is working correctly.

a.  Click Start, type dxdiag in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 

b.  In the window that appears, click the System tab. The version of DirectX that is installed is listed on this tab. 

c.  Visit
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx, and then click the appropriate link to download and install the latest version of DirectX. 

5.    Use Windows Live Messenger to check the webcam, To use the video conference feature, click video on the Action menu, and then select Start a Video Call.

If the steps above doesn’t work, please contact the manufacturer to make sure if the webcam is damaged.

I hope the issue will be fixed soon!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Micorosoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting!

Although Fujutsi (or the webcam manufacturer) should still be the best one to support this issue, I hope the following suggestions are helpful:

1.    Make sure that the webcam lens is not covered and the room is well-lighted. 

2.    Download and install the latest device driver for your webcam. For more information, contact the webcam manufacturer.

3.    Can you use the webcam on another computer (if possible, choose one running Windows Vista)? If not, I think it is very likely a hardware damage.

4.    Run the diagnostic software from the manufacturer of your webcam to make sure that the camera is working correctly.

a.  Click Start, type dxdiag in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 

b.  In the window that appears, click the System tab. The version of DirectX that is installed is listed on this tab. 

c.  Visit
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx, and then click the appropriate link to download and install the latest version of DirectX. 

5.    Use Windows Live Messenger to check the webcam, To use the video conference feature, click video on the Action menu, and then select Start a Video Call.

If the steps above doesn’t work, please contact the manufacturer to make sure if the webcam is damaged.

I hope the issue will be fixed soon!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Micorosoft Online Community Support

Friday, November 16, 2007 7:48 AM
  • Saturday, November 24, 2007 4:50 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2007 10:48 AM
  • I have a toshiba laptop with a built in cam and when I try and use it in live messenger it automatically cancels itself and tells the person I am chatting with that I declined them.

any help for me?
    Monday, December 24, 2007 7:08 AM
  •  

I have a Toshiba built-in webcam also.  It worked before, but something has changed with Vista.  I'm finding posts all over about this issue around the web at various tech sites.  I uninstall, reinstall drivers, and it works until I get out of the cam.  When I open it again, it's the same issue.  Skype, Windows Live Messenger, and Yahoo say that it's being used by "another program" when it is not, and all other chats are shut down.  Was there possibly a download yesterday or today which changed some funtions in Vista?

When you see posts at other websites, I'm reading about others having the same issue with HP running Vista also.  So it's not a problem limited to Toshiba.

Thanks for any help MS can provide on this issue.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 5:55 AM
  • Has anyone posted a fix for this issue.  I'm trying to help my sister-in-law with the same issue.  Can't seem to find a fix.  She is also using Vista and her webcam is supposedly in use by another application.  Any help would be appreciated.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 11:15 PM