Global vs Site Term Stores RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

With SharePoint Online, I am trying to decide whether a global or site term store would be best for recovery.  I assume site term stores would restore with the site, and if so, then it seems site level term stores may be a better choice than having the whole company use the Global Term store?

I actually prefer the Global for management, but not sure how to best backup/restore Global term store groups or the full store.

Questions:

Is there a backup and restore method of global term store groups?

Thx

Robert

Thursday, March 7, 2019 8:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

You can use PnP PowerShell to export all term sets with terms to a file as the backup. Import terms from a file using PnP.

Connect-PnPOnline –Url https://<site> –Credentials (Get-Credential)

Export-PnPTaxonomy -Path c:\output.txt

Import-PnPTaxonomy -Path c:\output.txt

SharePoint PnP

Best Regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 8, 2019 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

If the suggestion is useful, please mark it as the answer.

Thanks,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 11:22 AM
  • I believe this type of import would not connect the original tag back to the term.  Let me know if I'm wrong.  Would this method be considered a solid backup and restore method, if the global store somehow got corrupt or groups were accidentally deleted?

thx

Robert

Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

You may need to backup SharePoint online content.

SharePoint Online regularly back up your data. And you can backup content manually.

Read the following article for more information:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/akieft/2012/01/09/restore-options-in-sharepoint-online/

Best regards,

Linda

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 5:17 AM