Emails which are automatically forwarded by a rule do not create the "forwarded" icon or show up in sent mail RRS feed

• Question

• If I set up a rule in outlook 2019, which includes the option to automatically forward received emails that meet a certain criteria, the original email that you receive in your inbox does not show the forwarded icon, nor do those automatically forwarded emails show up in the Sent folder.  They are however forwarded to the intended user, but I have no evidence of the same.

I've tested this with several users and machines. Is this intended behavior?  How do I set it in a way that I receive some notification like the forwarded icon and the mail appearing in the sent items ?

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:42 AM

All replies

• It's by design, emails will not be marked Forwarded if they are forwarded using some outlook rule or even if there is something done on the server end to achieve the same. The only way you will see if is when you manually forward an email to someone.

Seems like there is no workaround for that as of now, also you might not be able to check if the rule is applied to the email on outlook level, you might need admin access to get the details via the message tracking logs.

What you can do is add a condition to that rule to either mark the user(for whom's outlook the rule is set) in BCC and one other rule to move such emails to the sent items folder or to some other folder. That way you might get the details of all the emails that are forwarded because of the outlook rules.

Monday, July 15, 2019 8:51 AM
  • thats a great idea.   thank you so much for that
    Monday, July 15, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hi Sachin,

Just as DumbleD0re said, this is by design.

And if the workaround of DumbleD0re is helpful to you, would you mind helping mark his reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread?

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:14 AM