Project Save Stuck in Geting Queued - Project SErver 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• INFO: Using MSPS 2010 (new install). 

We have a project with 2900 task lines and a Duration of 800 days (give or take). 

The schedule is a sub project on a master project.   

The project was getting hung up in the "Getting Queued" process (waited over night).   This behavior is seen in a couple other large projects - yet other projects on the server seem fine.  I was able to save it off line (.mpp) and re-save it to MSPS.   I am trying to find the common denominator that is causing this hangup.    I did strip off views and filters that were created for the project while it was off line (just to see if that was impacting the save).   

One other fact is that when I look at the queue - I see two jobs related to the save:  (1) the "Project Save" job and (2) the "Start Workflow" job.    Is the second one normal in the sequence for every save?

Would working on a schedule off line - and then bringing it back into the server cause this?  My PM's are becoming leary of the tool.   

Thanks!  ~RK

Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• It really sounds like your users do not know how to properly take a project offline. The fact that a new workflow is starting on the save event suggests that the project was saved as a new project and is a project type associated with a workflow. To work with a project offline: (First you must have your Project Client set to choose a connection, not connect automatically, otherwise you can't work offline correctly)

Save the project, but do not check it in.

Disconnect from the network

Open Project and select your Project Server connection and click the Work Offline button

Modify your project and save

Close your project and Project

Reconnect

Open and save.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:26 AM

All replies

• UPDATE:    I just found out that this issue is PM specific.   What can we check on the PM's MS Project application, PC Configuration (or anything else) that may be causing this issue?     Thanks!!!!
    Thursday, June 21, 2012 2:44 PM
  • well make sure all of their projects are saved to the server and then clear the cache.

Go to file->options->save to get the cache location

Thursday, June 21, 2012 5:59 PM
  • It really sounds like your users do not know how to properly take a project offline. The fact that a new workflow is starting on the save event suggests that the project was saved as a new project and is a project type associated with a workflow. To work with a project offline: (First you must have your Project Client set to choose a connection, not connect automatically, otherwise you can't work offline correctly)

Save the project, but do not check it in.

Disconnect from the network

Open Project and select your Project Server connection and click the Work Offline button

Modify your project and save

Close your project and Project

Reconnect

Open and save.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, June 25, 2012 8:26 AM