none
Managing Dependancies RRS feed

• Question

• This is an inquiry regarding MS Project functionality for dependency management, specifically, the "Manage Dependencies" option within the Insert menu that allows the user to add and define a dependency across and between projects. When this option is selected, only one other project appears in the list. Is this feature limited/restricted or is there another reason that only one other project is appearing?

Project 2010 connected to a Project Server

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Thom,

When you want to insert a dependency in your project, the list of project you see will be triggered by 2 aspects:

• Projects must have published deliverables : you'll just see projects that have actually publish deliverables on your Project Server instance,
    • (not sure of this second point, muts be tested) The user that wants to create a dependency will see in the project list only projects is has visibility on. Meaning that if you configured groups and categories with RBS, restricting users access to projects, projects' deliverables might be unaccessible for user to create dependencies.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:33 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

in a Project Online I set up I'm site admin and in the Admin group (Project Server permissions mode). I can easily create a deliverable in one project and it is added to the list of deliverables of this project in the Project Team Site. However, I cannot take a dependency on this in another project. After clicking on 'Manage dependencies' and 'Add dependency" the drop down shown is empty.

Both projects have been published, I can open both projects read-write etc. I'm using Project Professional 2016 , version 1704 (Build 8067.2115 click-to-run)

Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong? Or do you know this is a bug?

Cheers,

Bram

www.projectexpert.nu

Monday, May 29, 2017 12:13 PM
  • Hi Bram,

Just an idea. Did you actually published the second project, before trying to add a dependency? As far as I remember, you cannot create a dependency if the project is not published.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, May 29, 2017 1:51 PM