Modify search topology before removing a server from farm? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have 3 dead servers in the farm which I cannot access because of some issues. I want to remove them from the farm.

But they are still part of the search topology. They have query and index roles.

1) Do I need to modify the topology first before removing them from CA ?

Or

2) If I will remove them from managed servers will it remove them from the search topology too?

Thursday, May 30, 2019 11:58 PM

Answers

• Yes it will. and yes you could.
    • Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Friday, May 31, 2019 2:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by spadminspadmin Friday, May 31, 2019 5:19 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 1:05 AM

All replies

• Removing a server (even if that is not running) that contains a search topology component may affect future search activities. The extent of that effect depends on the farm search topology. Microsoft recommends that you remove or relocate any search topology components from a server before removing the server from the farm even if the server is dead so your configuration and the topology and any future update or security patches and upgrades will be smooth.

Few other points from MS site ;

• Make sure that the server that you want to remove is not running any important site components. If important services or components (such as a custom Web Part) are running on the server and are not available on another server in the farm, removing the server can impact sites in the farm. For example, if the server that you want to remove is the only server in the farm that is running the Business Data Connectivity service, removing the server can make any sites that rely on that service stop working correctly.

• To remove a server from a farm, you must first move any databases that are hosted by that server to another database server in the farm and then use Central Administration to remove the database server from the farm.

Hope this helps 

Thanks,

Thuyavan

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:27 AM
  • Hi SPAdmin,

Always best option is to modify the topology first then make sure there are no components are pointing to dead servers then remove the servers from the farm.

Thanks & Regards, 

sharath aluri

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:38 AM
  • Do you think the system will allow me to remove the dead servers from search topology?

As it is not connectable, will it be possible to remove the search roles from those 4 servers? 

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:52 AM
  • Yes it will. and yes you could.
    • Marked as answer by spadminspadmin Friday, May 31, 2019 5:19 AM
    Friday, May 31, 2019 1:05 AM
  • Hi spadminspadmin,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, May 31, 2019 2:18 AM