none
DPM - Move data from Disk to tape RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We created a Protection group then created a recovery point ( Short term disk protection).

Now how do we move this data from SAN disk to a tape ? Appreciate if we can get steps to do this..

Thanks,

Alex

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Alex!

In your protectiongroup you are able to use long-term protection if you have a tapedrive or libary installed on the server. Once this is in place and the drive and/or libary is presented in the device manager you will be able to use long-term protection for your protected members in a protection group.

There is also another solution if your company doesn't want to invest in HW you can use an application that simulates tapes. One example is FireStreamer.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

If you have the tape drive connected and recognised, you could create a new recovery group with both short term protection (disk) and long term protection (tape,) set the short term part to back up once a week with a recovery point just before, if acceptable in your environment, and a retention time of 7 days. Then in the tape part schedule your long term protection.

However, you are not actually moving from disk to tape.

To do that, probably you should find your last rcovery point, start to recover the information, and choose to recover to tape.

Hope that helps!

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Look at the Library Management tab (library UI). There you can see some tapes with labels mentioning PG names. Those are the one that have the specific data(datasources backed up) on them. You can confirm/check it by selecting a tape and clicking the View tape contents action(located at the right hand side action pane). 

thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex!

In your protectiongroup you are able to use long-term protection if you have a tapedrive or libary installed on the server. Once this is in place and the drive and/or libary is presented in the device manager you will be able to use long-term protection for your protected members in a protection group.

There is also another solution if your company doesn't want to invest in HW you can use an application that simulates tapes. One example is FireStreamer.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com
    Thursday, July 22, 2010 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

If you have the tape drive connected and recognised, you could create a new recovery group with both short term protection (disk) and long term protection (tape,) set the short term part to back up once a week with a recovery point just before, if acceptable in your environment, and a retention time of 7 days. Then in the tape part schedule your long term protection.

However, you are not actually moving from disk to tape.

To do that, probably you should find your last rcovery point, start to recover the information, and choose to recover to tape.

Hope that helps!

Friday, July 23, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for your response.

In the DPM 2010 Administrator Console -->Protection Group

I right Click on protection group i created--> click Modify protection group-->select the computer    -->click on next

In the Select Data Protection Method i selected - " I want Long-term protection using tape"

And it's finished successfully with out errors.

My Questions is - How do i find the tape where this data is backedup now ?

Thanks,

Alex

Saturday, July 24, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Look at the Library Management tab (library UI). There you can see some tapes with labels mentioning PG names. Those are the one that have the specific data(datasources backed up) on them. You can confirm/check it by selecting a tape and clicking the View tape contents action(located at the right hand side action pane). 

thanks,

Parag

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 8:13 AM