2012 R2 Powershell application starts and closes about 3 seconds later RRS feed

• Question

• Running a Hyper-V Gen1 VM Workgroup with Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard installed.  VM has 64GB RAM and 4 vCPUs allocated to it.  When I launch the PowerShell application it launches just fine and I get the proper window just like I should but about 3 seconds after it opens the window closes with no error message displayed.

The client has recently asked to have a harden GPO settings applied to the server.  The server was rebooted to apply the settings and checks after the reboot showed that PowerShell was working as it should.  Later the same day is when the issue appeared and as far as I have been able to determine no other changes were made to the server between the time when it was working and the time when it started to have this issue.

I checked the Application and System event logs for any PowerShell related entries and there were none found.  I have run sfc /scannow on the VM and no integrity issues were reported.  I have modified the registry entries identified in the article found at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1337229/powershell-window-disappears-before-i-can-read-the-error-message to include the -NoExit switch but that did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone encountered this issue previously?   If so, what was done to resolve the issue?

Jerry Ellis

Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:53 PM

All replies

• This is not a help or system support forum.  Please contact MS support for assistance.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, October 27, 2018 2:25 PM
  • I did create a test.ps1 script with the just the powershell command "get-command' in the script and was able to successfully launch it using powershell ./test.ps1 -NoExit within a CMD window.  The window opened, displayed the results and remained opened.  While this may resolve the immediate issue it does not resolve the underlying issue of what is causing powershell to close shortly after it is launched.

Jerry Ellis

Saturday, October 27, 2018 3:30 PM
  • Hi,

Please follow jrv said, refer the link below for help.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 9:32 AM