Issue with styles in word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question regarding the customized template. I have recently moved to Office 2010 from Office 2003. There are some templates I created using word 2003 that work well with word 2003, but do not seem to work really well in word 2010. The one I have an issue with at the moment is a template called ProjectReport.dot template which is designed to create a table of content, sections of the body (i.e. Sections) and Appendixes. It has got the font type, font size and color that satisfies our report standard.

When I executed the template, I could add a new section via a button called Add New Section. I could also add a sub-section (Heading 2) as well as the next sub-section (Heading 3) to the report.

The problem I have here is the inconsistency in numbering as shown in the example below

Section 1. Background

1.1. Preliminary to the lab

1.2. Cardiology

Section 2. Introduction

1.3. What is Cardiology

As you might notice it, the sub-section for Section 2 should have been 2.1, not 1.3 sub-section. I think I am having styles issue.

This problem arise when I use the macros to add a new Section and sub-sections. However, If i click on the Heading 1 listed in the styles list, I get 

Section 1. blah blah

If I click again Heading 1 from the styles (not from macros), I get Section 2. blah blah

If I click Heading 2 when I am in Section 2, I get 2.1. blah blah. This is correct.

So I do not understand why the macros don't work here. I wonder if I could get some help here to work around this issue with styles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Monday, August 2, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Doug,

It's working now. I just needed to re-apply the styles "Heading 1" to the section "Section 1.".

Thank you for your reply.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:02 AM

All replies

• Show us the code that is used in the macro.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"associates" wrote in message news:9fe16e30-d7c0-428d-8635-0d332ae9c54c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi,

I have a question regarding the customized template. I have recently moved to Office 2010 from Office 2003. There are some templates I created using word 2003 that work well with word 2003, but do not seem to work really well in word 2010. The one I have an issue with at the moment is a template called ProjectReport.dot template which is designed to create a table of content, sections of the body (i.e. Sections) and Appendixes. It has got the font type, font size and color that satisfies our report standard.

When I executed the template, I could add a new section via a button called Add New Section. I could also add a sub-section (Heading 2) as well as the next sub-section (Heading 3) to the report.

The problem I have here is the inconsistency in numbering as shown in the example below

Section 1. Background

1.1. Preliminary to the lab

1.2. Cardiology

Section 2. Introduction

1.3. What is Cardiology

As you might notice it, the sub-section for Section 2 should have been 2.1, not 1.3 sub-section. I think I am having styles issue.

This problem arise when I use the macros to add a new Section and sub-sections. However, If i click on the Heading 1 listed in the styles list, I get

Section 1. blah blah

If I click again Heading 1 from the styles (not from macros), I get Section 2. blah blah

If I click Heading 2 when I am in Section 2, I get 2.1. blah blah. This is correct.

So I do not understand why the macros don't work here. I wonder if I could get some help here to work around this issue with styles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 5:26 AM
  • Hi Doug,

It's working now. I just needed to re-apply the styles "Heading 1" to the section "Section 1.".

Thank you for your reply.

• Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, August 3, 2010 7:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 6:02 AM