none
Claims and Classic Webapplications

Question

• Hello,

We have multiple web applications currently using classic authentication on SP 2010. We are in process of upgrading to SP 2013 with Claims based authentication.

My client would like all the web applications to authenticate on claims except for 1 web application. There is a third party application connected to that web application that uses classic authentication and it does not work with claims authentication. 

Can we have both classic and claims based web applications in SP 2013? If yes, I would like to know what will be the issues that I might come across.

Thanks

Shamji

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:53 AM

Answers

• Yes, you can. The Classic Web App will not be able to use Workflow Manager, Office Web Apps/Online Server, Exchange Task Sync/Picture Sync, SharePoint Addins, or any other feature which requires an OAuth token.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Shamji Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:14 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Yes you can but you'll leave ALL new SP2013 features. Remember that in SP2013 to create a web application with Classic Auth you must to use a powershell script because by default any web application created using GUI will be Claim Auth only.

Regards

FabioA

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:59 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can. The Classic Web App will not be able to use Workflow Manager, Office Web Apps/Online Server, Exchange Task Sync/Picture Sync, SharePoint Addins, or any other feature which requires an OAuth token.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:27 AM
  • Yes you can but you'll leave ALL new SP2013 features. Remember that in SP2013 to create a web application with Classic Auth you must to use a powershell script because by default any web application created using GUI will be Claim Auth only.

Regards

FabioA

Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:59 AM
  • Thank you Trevor for the inputs. Looks like I will have a tough time ahead .

Shamji

Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:14 PM