Explore Outlook ETL files RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys!

Trying to read an outlook trace file (*.etl) but with Microsoft Performance Analyzer i get only unknown process.

Which tool should i use ?

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi!

Have you had a look at the following official article?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/wpt/opening-and-analyzing-etl-files-in-wpa

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:26 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:26 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 9:00 AM
  • When i run a new record with Windows Performance Recorder no issue, but for outlook etl file (when logging is enbaled on outlook) cannot be explored.

Tuesday, August 21, 2018 12:03 PM
  • Okay, in that case you could try using the Network Monitor to read the ETL files.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/NDF/using-network-monitor-to-view-etl-files

The Network Monitor tool has been archived, but version 3.4 can be downloaded from the link below:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 21, 2018 12:09 PM
  • Hi,

Just check if the reply above is helpful to you.

If the information above was helpful, could you please help mark it as answer so it will be easy for other forum members who might have similar issues to find the useful one?

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 2:27 AM
  • Sorry  but it didn't work for me, network monitor and Microsoft Message Analyzer are only showing frames, cannot find recorded events :(
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

According to my research, we could use Event Viewer to read log files.

You could refer to the details in this article. The log files are stored in subfolders of the Temp folder. By default, your Temp folder is located in your \AppData\Local folder:

c:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp

To open it via Event Viewer, please click Action > Open Saved logs.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Thanks for the update, but i think the informations should be converted some how because with all the tools and even with eventviewer data can't be readable, i even got this error for all the events :

- <ProcessingErrorData>
      <ErrorCode>15003</ErrorCode>
      <DataItemName />
      <EventPayload>1E000000E200000015010480</EventPayload>
      </ProcessingErrorData>

</Event>

Thursday, August 23, 2018 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I'm not familiar with converting tool.

Do you mean the ETL file mentioned in this article? In my environment here, I can open ETL files with Event Viewer. If the file cannot be opened via any tools mentioned above, please check whether these files are corrupted.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, August 24, 2018 6:55 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2018 6:54 AM
  • Yes i'm talking about those ETL file, and when i send it to Microsoft support, they were able te read the informations but i can't understand how they got it and this driving me crazy :(
    Friday, August 24, 2018 8:23 AM
  • Hi,

Do you already contact Microsoft support?

Would you mind sending me an example of the files for double check?

You can send the file to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, August 27, 2018 1:17 AM
    Monday, August 27, 2018 1:17 AM
  • i'm afraid that i'm not allowed to send the file :(

thank you for your support :)

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:27 AM
  • Hi,

As we cannot help test here, I'm afraid that I cannot figure out anything else I can do for this issue.

If you have other questions about Outlook client, please feel free to post here.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Perry

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hi,

We've received your email.

Would you mind telling me what issue are you having with Outlook?

Currently, we have no public tool so far to read Outlook ETL files. You can provide more details with this issue so we can help check related data in this file.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:10 AM
    Tuesday, October 30, 2018 9:04 AM
  • Hi Perry_Pan

so if we have problem with outlook of one user and cant understand nature of problem can i sent Email to ibsofc@microsoft.com with  .etl logging file and can provide more details with my issue in mail??

• Edited by xAxellx Monday, April 15, 2019 1:57 PM
    Monday, April 15, 2019 1:28 PM
  • I have the same problem in my Outlook etl file. My Outlook does not startup anymore. He mentions me to repair pst files, but even this does not help. Did you encounter the same issue? How did you solve it?
    Saturday, July 4, 2020 5:15 PM