none
Change in task dates due to revision of %completion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I had encountered an issue with a task which I make 100% complete, then regret and change back to 0%. Surprisingly, the task end date had changed and "jumped" in addition of the duration of the task + the prior end date.

for example - task XX ; duration 10d ; start date Mar17 ; end date Mar 31 ; 0% --> changing to 100% --> task XX ; duration 10d ; start date Mar17 ; end date Mar 31 ; 100%  --> changing back to 0% --> task XX ; duration 10d ; start date Mar17 ; end date Apr 13 ; 0%

Can anyone assist and explain why does it happen and how to change it so the task end date won't change at all?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you have any resources assigned on the tasks? I cannot reproduce this issue.. What is the task type? Is it effort driven? Do you have any actual work on the task?

Can you reproduce this bug on a blank new file?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:20 PM
  • Well, I don't have resource assigned, but additional and essential information I should mention is that for the exact same project plan (same file) it doesn't happen on one computer (project 2013) and in other one it does (project 2010).

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:02 PM
  • AlonBN,

I'm not sure if Guillaume did his test using Project 2010 or Project 2013. You implied that the issue only occurs on the PC with Project 2010. I set up your scenario using Project 2010 fully updated and I do get a similar response. However, assuming the standard calendar and the year of 2016, a task with a start date of March 17 and a finish date of March 31 has a duration of 11 days, not 10.

I can't explain why Project 2010 responds in this manner while Project 2013 apparently does not but I would conclude that with Project 2010 once a task is marked as 100% complete Project "remembers" that status such that when the percent complete is then set back to zero, Project automatically re-schedules the task to start at the original finish date and then run through to a new finish date as calculated by the original duration. It doesn't matter if the task has a resource assigned or not, the same task "shift" occurs either way.

Is this an explanation? No, it's just an observation and I couldn't find any options that negate this behavior. However, I did find out a couple of other interesting related things. Project 2007 does not display this behavior. More interestingly, Project 2010 with only SP2 applied, (i.e. no further updates), does NOT display this behavior so I would conclude that a Cumulative Update between SP2 and the March 2016 update for Project 2010 made this change. Is it worth pursuing? Well, I can bring it up to a contact at Microsoft, but since support for Project 2010 is limited, I doubt this will get fixed if in fact it is considered a glitch. Maybe there's a reason this change was implemented although if it was by design, I would assume Project 2013 would respond the same way and according to Guillaume, it doesn't.

Tell you what, I'll ask and let you know if and when I hear back.

John

Friday, April 8, 2016 3:44 PM