Non-cooperating providers RRS feed

• Question

• Two major laboratory firms have refused to provide me electronic test results. Specifically, they have provided paper copies only and refused to provide electronic versions to me (e.g., USB stick), or to deliver them into HealthVault directly, which is my preference. I know that both of these firms (Quest and LabCorp) have the capability to deliver results directly into HealthVault.

What recourse do I have?

Tuesday, January 14, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It’s hard to know, since there are many different circumstances for getting lab results, but one thing you could try is to ask your doctor if he or she can enable that, if your doctor ordered the test. Some U.S. states allow individuals to directly order lab tests, and others require orders to go through a doctor.

We don’t know of any way to force electronic delivery, but making it known that this is a service patients want will help build momentum to make it more commonly available.

This is what LabCorp says on their website (https://www.labcorp.com/wps/portal/patient/results): "Some states require physicians to direct the release of lab test results to patients. To find out if your state allows lab test results to be delivered to patients, click here to view a state-by-state list. If you cannot receive your LabCorp lab test results via LabCorp Beacon: Patient because of state laws, please contact your ordering physician for your lab test results."

-Kathy-

Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:27 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. 

Here is some additional information that is specific to New York. 

1. The Rx for the lab test must request results delivered to the patient.

2. There is a waiting period, so the results are not given to patients in any format until after the waiting period.

3. In the case of both Quest and LabCorp, they did provide paper copies after these two conditions were met, but have refused to upload the results to HealthVault or to give them to me as USB (not sure how I would get it from there into HealthVault, but at least that would be under my control.)

So my situation remains.  I have paper results provided by the labs after addressing the consent and notification regulations, but nothing in HealthVault for either set of tests.

@knowlengr

Friday, January 17, 2014 3:57 PM