A few permissions questions for SP 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• My company is going to be making some modifications to our client's sharepoint 2007 site & has asked a few questions that I'm looking to find answers to.  I'm very inexperienced with sharepoint, but I'm hoping to at least find answers to their questions:

1) We're going to be setting up both custom & out of the box webparts for them.  We'll be accessing their current site via a VPN, however we won't have access to their sharepoint admin portal.  What permissions to we need them to setup for us in their admin portal to allow us to install our custom webparts?

2) Our client wants to move to sharepoint 2013 in the next year or 2.  Will we experience issues trying to convert these 2007 custom webparts to 2013, when the time comes?

3) Can user permissions be updated on a document by document basis (within the same document library).  One of our webparts is a documents library.  They want different users to have different permissions.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would strongly say you must be a member of Administrator group. If you want more details, please look at the below link.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/24951/what-permissions-are-needed-to-deploy-a-wsp-to-sharepoint-2010

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Hi Goalie35,

>Would this be the "Site Collections Administrator"?

I believe site collection administrator will not enough because you will need to make some modification in file system too so you need sharepoint server access to install wsp package. I think you should read below technet to deploy custom webpart and how it works in sharepoint:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc261736%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Hope it could help

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Please feel free to unmark answer if does not resolves your problem.

Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. If you don't have permission to install webpart then create WSP package and give that package to client admin to install on their sharepoint server.

If there is no admin at client and you have to install then you will have to ask for sharepoint admin right to install custom wepart because it will requires some modification in server file system and config file.

2. You will have to change the all sharepoint dll's ref. you will have to open the project in Visual Studio 2012, change the SharePoint reference from v12 to v15, recompile the project. These types of solutions are still completely supported in 2013.

3. Yes, you can apply different permission at document level so document could be visible for authorise users only.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-in/sharepoint-server-help/manage-permissions-for-a-list-library-folder-document-or-list-item-HA010021564.aspx

Hope it could help

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi Hemendra.  

Thanks for the reply.  It helped a ton!

One question though.  You mentioned needing sharepoint admin rights to install custom webparts.  Would this be the "Site Collections Administrator"?  Just want to ensure I'm providing the proper admin information to our client.

Again, we'll have no access to their sharepoint admin portal, so we'll need to specify exactly what permissions we need to install custom web parts without need for this portal. 

Thanks again

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Hi,

I would strongly say you must be a member of Administrator group. If you want more details, please look at the below link.

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/24951/what-permissions-are-needed-to-deploy-a-wsp-to-sharepoint-2010

Sekar - Our life is short, so help others to grow

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:23 PM
  • Hi Goalie35,

>Would this be the "Site Collections Administrator"?

I believe site collection administrator will not enough because you will need to make some modification in file system too so you need sharepoint server access to install wsp package. I think you should read below technet to deploy custom webpart and how it works in sharepoint:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/cc261736%28v=office.12%29.aspx

Hope it could help

Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:42 AM