Disk 0 has been surprise removed EventId: 157 RRS feed

• Question

• I just set up Server 2012 R2 (RTM) via MSDN download on a test box for evaluation, and have configured an array of physical disks using storage spaces.  The server is running the Hyper-V role, and has a nightly Windows Server backup scheduled.

I have been seeing periodic entries in the System Log that say "Disk <n> has been surprise removed" with Source: disk, EventId:157.  There is no other information given in the event log entry, at least nothing that appears to describe the issue further.  And my Bing-Fu can't seem to locate any information on this event either.

Does anyone have anything they can offer to shed some light on what this actually means?

Friday, September 13, 2013 3:13 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Thank you for posting your issue in the forum.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 16, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Hi,

Same issue here with Windows Server 2012 R2 RTM. I keep getting "Disk 2 has been surprised removed" but I have no Disk 2 in the computer and nothing seems amiss (other than the error message). 

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 3:32 AM
  • This error message indicates resources cannot be reached - i.e. usually a file missing or corrupt.

You can run chkdsk to check if there are corrupted data on the disk.

Run the chkdsk  chkdsk [volume letter]  /r command to repair corruption.

Also I provide the following article for your reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc161510.aspx   - Disk missing

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, September 20, 2013 8:42 AM
  • hi.

Same issue here: chdks doesn't find any problems; the disk isn't missing or has been detached. still getting that "disk <n> is missing message"...

WM_THX
    -thomas woelfer

http://www.die.de/blog

Friday, September 20, 2013 11:28 AM
  • I have also run chkdsk on my drives and no errors are reported.  And as with other commenters, the disk numbers reported are not valid disk numbers in my machine.

I have noticed that this only occurs around the time as Windows Server Backup scheduled backups are executed.  I wonder if perhaps this is related to the VSS snapshot volumes from the backup, rather than the actual volumes on the server...

Monday, September 23, 2013 12:34 PM
  • Same issue here on WS2012E R2; and I believe Tim Batts is very close in that it appears to be related to Backups/Shadow Copies.

It was originally reporting the error against Disk 0, the OS drive. This was a fresh install and at which time I didn't have an OS backup scheduled but Shadow Copies were active and storing them on the same drive. Due to this error I decided to reformat and reinstall before going further.

After the install I am still getting the same error although now on Disk 5; the drive that I have setup to store the OS backups (partition 1) and Shadow Copies from all other drives (partition 2).

These errors almost always appear between 2 and 3 minutes after a backup starts.

Often these errors are generally followed by "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk5\DR<number> during a paging operation." Event ID 51

Looking at the history I can also see this error on Disk 6, but I don't have that many controllers let alone disks - possibly this was a USB thumb drive?

Thursday, October 3, 2013 9:46 PM
  • During backup, the system mounts a .vhdx backup volume, performs the backup and then unmounts the backup volume.  I think the "surprise removed" comes from when the backup volume is unmounted by the system.

Tom

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:08 PM
  • Okay, so I moved the target backup drive to SATA port 4 (from 6) and then started getting Disk 3 has been surprise removed (from 5). As yes, at the end of the backup as suggested by zrtom. Next I wiped the machine and performed a fresh install, and no 'surprise removed' messages ... until I turned on backups again, and that was from and to brand new drives and with minimum software configuration - as much as possible was straight out of the box. So my conclusion. This message manifests at the end of a backup. The disk number reported in the log corresponds to the SATA port of the target backup drive (zero based indexing, i.e. start counting from 0). This event is not part of a bad install. This event is either by design, a software bug, or hardware/driver incompatibility. Considering 'googling' suggests this event as been around since Server 2003, I would guess it is by design.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:03 PM