none
Migrate Data Source for Previously Protected Data RRS feed

• Question

• I removed a protection group for a server and retained the data (I'm using DPM 2007).  The entire server was replaced - including new volumes but with same data - and now I want to recreate the protection group and use the old data.  I have the agent installed and talking to the new server but when I run Migrate-Datasource it says "No FileSystem datasources under protection(but volumes marked as deleted) on this PS".  Fair enough but when I go to create a protection group it wants to create new replica volumes.  I still see the old replica volumes in the protection tab under "inactive protection" - there has got to be a way to use them again if I could have done it if the protection group was still active.  Right? 

Greg
    Sunday, March 6, 2011 10:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the protected server was replaced, the new server looks like a different server to DPM and has no way to associate the inactive protection group to the new server.   What you perhaps should have done was not unprotected the data sources, then use the same computer account as the old server when you installed the O.S. On the new hardware.  Provided DPM sees the new machine as the old machine, then you could have used the MigrateDatasource script to reassociate the new Volume Guid of the protected serevr with the replica volume on the DPM server. 

However, since you are in this condition, the only thing you can do is re-protect the data and after you have some new RP's - delete the inactive protection group.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since the protected server was replaced, the new server looks like a different server to DPM and has no way to associate the inactive protection group to the new server.   What you perhaps should have done was not unprotected the data sources, then use the same computer account as the old server when you installed the O.S. On the new hardware.  Provided DPM sees the new machine as the old machine, then you could have used the MigrateDatasource script to reassociate the new Volume Guid of the protected serevr with the replica volume on the DPM server. 

However, since you are in this condition, the only thing you can do is re-protect the data and after you have some new RP's - delete the inactive protection group.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 7, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Mike, thanks - your associate at Product Support had JUST told me the same thing on the phone!  Lesson learned - don't uninstall the agent and don't remove the protection group!  Perhaps I will add a comment to online documentation...

In my case, I was able to create a new protection group and new replicas without touching the old ones.  So, we had to create new replicas but we kept what we were the most worried about - the recovery points on the old replicas.  Now, the recovery tab shows two volumes for each drive letter, each suffixed by a guid.

Follow-up question -- I have another DPM server that I am in the process of upgrading to Windows 2008 R2.  It was the primary DPM before the upgrade went sour and I swung the protection of all to the secondary server. DPM has been uninstalled on it during all this drama of the protected server going down and replaced.  When I get it back up and going again, should I connect it to the protected server as I should have (don't uninstall agent or remove PG and run MigrateDataSource) or mirror what I did on the working secondary DPM server?  Further complication is replacement server once talked to primary DPM server under it's old name.

Greg
    Monday, March 7, 2011 8:20 PM
  • Hi

The issue is that the old machine was removed from active directory before installing the new machine with the same name. This caused the the new computer get a different AD guid and so DPM considered it a different Server even though it had the same name.  There is no way to undo that.  Now that the secondary DPM server reprotected that server as a primary data source, the rebuilt primary DPM server will not be able to protect it.  DPM 2007 does not support Cyclic protection  (DPM1 <--> DPM2) so you may need to unprotect it again and re-protect it as a primary data source on the rebuilt primary.  Then see if it can be added to secondary protection back on the secondary.   I know we have some restriction about moving PS's between primary and secondary once they have been protected, hopefully you won't run into that.

Monday, March 7, 2011 9:28 PM
  • The issue is that the old machine was removed from active directory before installing the new machine with the same name. This caused the the new computer get a different AD guid and so DPM considered it a different Server even though it had the same name.

Are you saying that the only way MigrateDataSource would have worked is not only if I kept the protection group but also if the new server used the SAME Active Directory account as the old one?  I have never tried to do that before - so that means resetting the computer account in AD, then joining the new computer to the domain under that name?
    Greg
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:17 AM
  • HI,

Yes, precisly - then after you manually install the DPM agent on the new server - DPM should see that server as the same server under protection. The MigratedataSource can then be used to re-associate the volumes so DPM can continue protection.  The Migratedatasource will only work for volume, file or share data sources, not application data like SQL or Exchange.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:00 PM
  • OK.  Got it.  I think when I read that "DPM uses the computer name as a unique identifier for replicas, recovery points, DPM database entries, reporting database entries, and so on" (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795855.aspx)  I figured the name was the ONLY unique identifier, but now I see that that is not so.  Where is that future feature request form? :)
    Greg
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Hi Greg,

In the context of renaming a server, the information is accurate, you cannot rename a server (even while maintaining its current AD account) because DPM maintains Sql tables that are dependant on the machine name.

What is lacking is a technet article describing how to replace a protected computer with new hardware but using the same machine name so we can maintain current replica's and RP's  - I will open a content request to cover that.

Please take some time to complete the survey (Future Enhancements to DPM) and share your future needs with the DPM Product Team.

Survey Link: http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Survey/Survey.aspx?SurveyID=11130

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 4:17 PM