none
SQL Server 2008 Settings - Project Server queue freeze RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone tell me what is the main reason in SQL Server 2008 that can cause any project save/publish/checkin to freeze my Queue in Project Server 2010?

Thanks

Well, you look nervous. Is it the scars? You want to know how I got 'em? Come here. Hey! Look at me. So I had SAP R/3 reports, beautiful, like you, that tell me I worry too much. That tells me I ought to smile more. That gambles and gets in deep with Oracle... Look at me! One day, the system freezes. And we have no money for backups. It can't take it. I just want to see them work again, hm? I just want it to know that I don't care about the system freezes. So... I asked Microsoft to implement Project Server 2010 and do this...to myself. And you know what? It can't stand the sight of me! It leaves. Now I see the funny side. Now I'm always smiling!

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:53 PM

Answers

• This issue regarding the queue from project server happened very often with 2007. Until now, I never had one single issue with the queue from project server 2010. This started to happen with a client. When I do a simple publish of a 3 line project, the queue simply stalls. Normally this happens because the first job of the queue from that project enters in sleeping mode (??).

But when I checked the client installation, I verified that he had the following hardware setup:

-SQL Server 2008 R2 in a single core Virtual machine with 8 GB RAM

-Sharepoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 in a single core Virtual machine with 6 GB RAM.

When I do a project publish, there are procedures in SQL that take too long to execute, so the queue from project server stalls. So I increased the virtual processors to 4 and the problem solved itself :D

Thanks

Wanna know how I got these scars? My boss was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one business day he goes off crazier than usual. The Project Manager gets a lawyer to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes a firing form to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious?" Comes at me with a firing form... "Why so serious?" He puts the form on the table... "Let's implement Project Server 2010!" And...

• Marked as answer by Joao P. Costa Friday, October 1, 2010 9:06 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 9:05 AM

All replies

• No sure I understand your question, SQL 2008 should not not cause the queue to freeze. I assume you are actively monitoring your farm (inlcuding your DB tier ) and ensuring all performance counters are good?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:48 PM
  • I guess you need to supply more information. Is your SQL Server underpowered or overutilitzed? Why do you think SQL 2008 is the root cause? What steps did you take to troubleshoot this problem?

Now I can only guess what the problem could be, so my best answer would be: "It depends..."

• Marked as answer by Joao P. Costa Friday, October 1, 2010 9:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Joao P. Costa Friday, October 1, 2010 9:06 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:27 PM
  • This issue regarding the queue from project server happened very often with 2007. Until now, I never had one single issue with the queue from project server 2010. This started to happen with a client. When I do a simple publish of a 3 line project, the queue simply stalls. Normally this happens because the first job of the queue from that project enters in sleeping mode (??).

But when I checked the client installation, I verified that he had the following hardware setup:

-SQL Server 2008 R2 in a single core Virtual machine with 8 GB RAM

-Sharepoint 2010 and Project Server 2010 in a single core Virtual machine with 6 GB RAM.

When I do a project publish, there are procedures in SQL that take too long to execute, so the queue from project server stalls. So I increased the virtual processors to 4 and the problem solved itself :D

Thanks

Wanna know how I got these scars? My boss was... a drinker. And a fiend. And one business day he goes off crazier than usual. The Project Manager gets a lawyer to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not-one-bit. So - me watching - he takes a firing form to her, laughing while he does it! Turns to me, and he says, "why so serious?" Comes at me with a firing form... "Why so serious?" He puts the form on the table... "Let's implement Project Server 2010!" And...

• Marked as answer by Joao P. Costa Friday, October 1, 2010 9:06 AM
    Friday, October 1, 2010 9:05 AM