RSAT Windows 7 issues with Active Directory Users and Computers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems setting Active Directory Users and Computers to launch on Windows 7. After installing and enabling RSAT when I attempt to launch Active Directory Users and Computers I get the following error: "Naming information cannot be located because: Access is denied....." I have domain admin rights.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 8:31 PM

All replies

• Does the issue occur when you open Active Directory Users and Computers, or after you enter it and try to access objects?

How does it work if you reinstall it?

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Wednesday, November 11, 2009 2:06 AM
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:26 AM
  • I'm having the same problem and it happens with I try to open the snap-in. I'm on the domain, I can ping the dns, domain controllers, and other network resources.  WHen I had XP on this tablet it worked, when I log in on the server with the same credentials it works.  Just not working under Windows 7 Enterprise Edition.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 11:08 PM
  • Please try:

1. Check service:

954370 Error message when you try to connect to a domain controller for remote administration from a Windows Vista SP1-based computer that has Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) installed: "The RPC server is unavailable"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;954370

2. Please check whether you can use RSAT to manage the domain from other Windows 7 computers.

3. Please use the default domain Administrator account, if possible, as a test. How it works this time?

Microsoft Online Community Support
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:05 AM
  • I had a similar issue and it was related to the number of groups that I was a member of and the Kerboros token size.  Checkout this article to increase your Maxtokensize on your client - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263693
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Had similar problem.  From Windows 7 Pro SP1 PC was getting "active directory naming information cannot be located because: RPC server unavailable".  The PC has two NICs, one wireless used with a broadband service, and one wired for the domain.  Disabled the wireless NIC, then AD U & C started working.
    Paul Woods Woods Systems Englewood, CO (US)
    Friday, July 15, 2011 9:45 PM