Passing MDX declared sets to an SSRS report from ProClarity as part of an 'Action' RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to pass an MDX result set from ProClarity to an SSRS report?  i want to add an Action to the AS cube that points to an SSRS report.  when a user right-clicks on an datapoint in proclarity - it will pass all the leaf level elements that made up that datapoint (like a customize drill to detail) to the SSRS report.

since some of these datapoints could have several, or even hundreds of individuals who make up the aggregate - i do not want to pass individual employee numbers through a URL string to SSRS - as that would quickly get very clumbersome and slow.

any ideas?

-dk

Friday, November 14, 2008 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hello dk,

Yes, you certainly can pass Reporting Actions from within the ProClarity client. You'll need to create the SSRS Action within BIDS (Actions) and then you will be able to right click the data point in ProClarity and select Actions / <Your SSRS Action>.   BIDS allows you to create an MDX expression for your target variable so you can specify whatever level of granularity you prefer.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Amanda

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:19 PM
  •  

Hey Amanda,

thank you for the reply.  i do realize that there are Reporting Actions that can be created in BIDS - however the crux seems to be how to capture the dynamic set of the data intersection that the user would be look at.  basically,

capturing the same "set" of information that the drill-to-detail functionality in proclarity uses to show all the individual elements that make up a data intersection, but instead of passing it withing the proclarity app to dispaly in the drill-to-detail - capture those that same dynamic set of people and pass the entire set to the SSRS action report.

i know you can write MDX to capture the set of people who make up any intersection in proclarity - but you cannot pass an MDX statement to an SSRS report and have it display results just for the results...the ssrs report needs actual employee id's...etc.

does that make sense?

-dk

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 6:59 PM
  •  

Hi

I have been trying to do something similar and was trying to re-create the MDX statement as a parameter that can be passed to Reporting Services through an action. Using SetToStr(Axis(0)) and SetToStr(Axis(1)) I am able to get the sets that are on rows and columns but am unable to get the set that is in the WHERE clause. I don't know if anyone else has successfully managed to get to that?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:49 PM
  • that is a clever approach.  i have not delved down that road yet.  i am not sure how you would get to the WHERE clause either.  that may be a good thread to start seperately and see if you get any hits.

-dk

Thursday, November 20, 2008 6:42 PM
  • doesn't the SetToStr function kick out it's values as comma seperated values?  won't you run into the 2083 character URL size limit in internet explorer?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:52 PM
  • Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:18 PM
  • thanks. that will be me going for a bit...

Tuesday, December 2, 2008 9:35 PM