Active window becomes inactive when options are clicked RRS feed

• Question

• I am helping a friend who has windows Vista Home Basic on an 2 year old Asus laptop. For a long while now (he's not sure how long), when he left clicks on an option in any active window for any application, the window becomes inactive (greys to the background) and the option is not selected. We have tried using a USB mouse, a wireless mouse and the touchpad on the laptop - the behavious is the same regardless of the device used.

For example, he tries to connect to his wireless network USB device. Left clicking on the shortcut to the app is fine but when the option box comes up "Do you want to connect to the wireless network device?" he clicks on OK but doing so immediately makes the option box become inactive and the option is not selected, the laptop does not process the request (I watched in Task Manager).

Another example, in MS Word 2003, he clicks on Tools, Options and selects one of the tabs that gives loads of tick boxes to select from (so far he has used the left click to select MS Word, Tools, Options and the relevant tab with no problems). When he clicks on any of the selection boxes, the Options window becomes inactive (MS Word is still responding though).

The only way he can select any of the tick boxes is to use the tab key on the keyboard and press the space bar and then use tab to get to OK / Apply and press enter.

Left click works to open all applications and menus and files in Explorer, but it will not work for the controls within them.

I've goine through the registy and checked for the Run options and removed everything that is not needed, cleared the sys tray, run a spyware check (found nothing). He has McAfee Full Internet protection suite (all up to date), I ran that and everything is clean. The only things he has installed on top of the OS and MS Office 2003 is McAfee and Optus wireless network USB device. He believes the fault occurred well before either of these applications were installed though. Please can you help?
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:16 AM

Answers

• I'll suggest a full virus scan using some other good antivirus. Probably there is some new process being started on clicking events causing the active window to be inactive. Look for suspicious processes in the task manager, if any, end them and try clicking again. Also check if the problem exists in safe mode as well.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:24 AM
  • Error-check, then system restore was the only thing that fixed it. It was not a malware or virus etc.  Thanks for your advice though.
    • Marked as answer by AnnamarieB Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:58 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:58 AM

All replies

• I'll suggest a full virus scan using some other good antivirus. Probably there is some new process being started on clicking events causing the active window to be inactive. Look for suspicious processes in the task manager, if any, end them and try clicking again. Also check if the problem exists in safe mode as well.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 7:24 AM
  • Error-check, then system restore was the only thing that fixed it. It was not a malware or virus etc.  Thanks for your advice though.
    • Marked as answer by AnnamarieB Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:58 AM
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:58 AM