Win Xp sp3 boot problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have Wipro 7B1631 laptop and installed winxp sp3. But my laptop freezes in the boot screen i.e. the progress bar screen. When i tried safe boot it works normally and boots well. I reformatted it and again install the os but its of no use. Please tell me whether there is some hardware problem or something else. I have also asked to some software engineers but they were unable to identify the problem.

The specifications of my laptop are as follows:

ACPI Multiprocessor PC

Disk Drives - Generic multicard usb device, WDC WD1600BEVT-22ZCT0

DVD/CD     - TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L632H

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers - Priamry IDE, Primary IDE, Secondary IDE, SiS PCI IDE Controller, Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Imaging Devices - USB Video Devices

Keyboards - Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2

Mice - PS/2 compatible

Network Adapters - Direct Parallel, Wan Miniport (IP), Wan Miniport (IP) - Packet Scheduler Miniport, Wan Miniport (IP) (L2TP), Wan Miniport (IP) (PPPoE), Wan Miniport (IP) (PPTP)

Other Devices - ?! Ethernet Controller

?! Video Controlller (VGA Compatible)

?! PCI Device

Processors - 2 x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU  T5750 @ 2.00GHz

etc...

Please reply soon..

Thursday, December 2, 2010 5:47 AM

All replies

• Sounds like your video driver, try to get an updated driver from the Laptop manufactorer's website or the video card manufactorer's.
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 1:14 PM
  • This laptop seems to originate in India. And after some searching. Found the support downloads. But they are geared towards newer systems. No legacy support for this laptop. Or drivers for linux. '

But doing some research and booting into safe mode you can search a few places to figure out

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310126

Shows how to navigate to the device manager.

Then click on the display adapter. or right click on unknown and right click on each one. 

You are after the hardware vendor #### and device id  ####. And searching for the adapter information. 

a great resource for looking this up is located here

http://www.pcisig.com/home

Then its a simple matter of installing the proper driver from intel.com, nividia.com or amd.com.

Ati was purchased by AMD. and still provides drivers for the video cards.

This is slightly easier and more reliable then opening up the laptop case.

Just remember older integrated graphics adapters might not be too fast.

If this is helpful then please mark this as answered and report back your results to help others!

Cheers 

Keith

Sunday, December 26, 2010 1:06 PM