none
What is difference between Team Members and Portfolio Viewers (some users can't see project files)? RRS feed

• Question

• We have 6 files in our Project Center. This page says that people in both the Portfolio Viewers group and the Team Members group should be able to see the files.  These groups each have Contribute rights.

In my testing, when I put my test user in the Team Members group, they could only see one of the files.  When I added the user to the Portfolio Viewers group, they could see all the files.  Any ideas what could be the difference?  I have no experience with Project Server or Project Online at all. During my research over the last two days I have not found an explanation for this behavior.  Is there some difference in the way the files could be published that could account for their being visible by different groups?  Or something different between the two groups other than that they both have Contribute rights? 

We are using the SP Permissions Mode.

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 9:20 PM

Answers

• run4it --

The Team Members security group is intended for people who work as team members in projects.  Their default permissions allow them to ONLY see projects in which they are team members, allow them to see the Tasks page and Timesheet page in PWA, and allow them to contribute Risks, Issues, and documents in the SharePoint Project Sites for projects in which they are team members.

The Portfolio Viewers security group was formerly called the Executives group. Their default permissions allows them to see all projects in the Project Center page, all resources in the Resource Center page, and the SharePoint Project Sites for all projects.  In the SharePoint Project Sites, they are viewers only and cannot contribute Risks, Issues, or documents.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 9:58 PM

All replies

• run4it --

The Team Members security group is intended for people who work as team members in projects.  Their default permissions allow them to ONLY see projects in which they are team members, allow them to see the Tasks page and Timesheet page in PWA, and allow them to contribute Risks, Issues, and documents in the SharePoint Project Sites for projects in which they are team members.

The Portfolio Viewers security group was formerly called the Executives group. Their default permissions allows them to see all projects in the Project Center page, all resources in the Resource Center page, and the SharePoint Project Sites for all projects.  In the SharePoint Project Sites, they are viewers only and cannot contribute Risks, Issues, or documents.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 9:58 PM
  • I jumped with joy at your response -- then I went and checked who were team members for those projects. So the names under the Resource Names are the "team?" I looked at the resources for the project that my test user could see and the test user wasn't in the list!

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:17 PM
  • run4it -

You see the project team members in the Resource Sheet view of the project.  Is the test user in the list of resources in this view?  Also, is the test user ONLY in the Team Members security group, or other groups as well?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:47 PM
  • Thanks so much for your offer to help.  Our project manager (not really a SharePoint person) is out sick and I'm trying to figure out how to get this new site fixed so we can get people using it. I'm having to learn even the basic terminology of one of these PWA sites!

The test user is ONLY in the Team Members group and sees only the Project Management Office file.  If I put the test user in the Portfolio Viewers group, she can see all the project files. The screenshots below are seen by be as Site Collection Admin.

In this list of projects shown, the bottom one is the only one that can be seen by users in the Team Members SP group.

When I open the Project Management Office project file in Project Professional and look at the Resource Sheet view, I don't see any resources listed.  However, I am receiving a Team Foundation Server error when I open, so maybe all data isn't being brought down to my computer?

When I open the 2-DG Master Schedule project and look at its Resource Sheet, I do not see my test user listed.

• Edited by run4it Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:34 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:01 PM
  • run4it --

In an enterprise project in Microsoft Project Professional, team members must be added to the team using the Build Team dialog.  These team members will then appear in the Resource Sheet view of the project.  Sounds like there are no team members on the project in question, which would be the source of your problem.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Thanks Dale.  I need to experiment a bit more.  Can you please tell me how to remove a resource from the Resource Center through the browser UI?

Thursday, July 19, 2018 4:49 PM
  • Dale, I checked who were the resources for each of our project files.  The Project Management Office has no resources listed yet my test user can see it in the Project Center.  Is there some setting that allows everyone to see a project file without anyone being assigned to it as a resource? 

Thursday, July 19, 2018 5:54 PM
  • run4it --

Navigate to the PWA Settings page and then click the Delete Enterprise Objects link.  ON the Delete Enterprise Objects page, select the Resources and Users option.  Select the checkboxes for the resources you want to delete and then click the Delete button.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:47 PM
  • run4it --

I am not entirely sure what you are trying to do.  It sounds like you are trying to learn how to use Project Online by playing around with the tool.  That is NOT how to learn to use it!  Please refer to the following links for books and classes that will teach your the correct way to configure Project Online and best practices methods for using it:

https://www.senseiprojectsolutions.com/training/courses

https://www.senseiprojectsolutions.com/training/books

To answer your question, if you place all users in the Portfolio Viewers group temporarily, that will grant them permission to see all projects.  However, as you move forward, you will need to place people in the correct security Groups, based on their role in the system.  That means you will place your PMs in the Project Managers group, your team members in the Team Members group, etc.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, July 19, 2018 6:52 PM