Inconsistent 5.1.1 errors on Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Our Exchange 2007 server hosts the accounts of about 50 individuals and the server recently had a couple HDs die which were rebuilt by the RAID controller and all was well after a few hours of downtime.  Now, however, we have been plagued by the most bizarre of problems.

Certain users are randomly getting Notifications stating that their email has failed to reach it's destination as the account doesn't exist in the organization (5.1.1), but what's funny is that the email still actually goes through.  Likewise, people who send these people emails occasionally get the same Notification but again, the email actually goes through.  It's an incredible nuisance and causes a lot of confusion.  The actual text of a Notification email is included below:

--

To:  IntendedReciever@someDomain.com

Subject: Subject-Goes-Here

Sent: 2/13/2013 10:20:58 AM

did not reach the following recipient(s):IntendedReciever@someDomain.com on 2/13/2013 10:20:58 AM

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. <our.domain.local #5.1.1>

--

The email addresses are right and it does 'work', but causes a tremendous amount of confusion.  This doesn't happen all the time and if you email the same person, I'd say you see this one in every 3 or 4 emails sent.

I've no idea how to proceed or where to even look for problems.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Mkautzman Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:52 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Since OWA works, I think the issue is more related to the Outlook client side. So far I have no idea about this symptom if the cause is not with the NK2 file.

Let’s continue troubleshooting the issue by consulting the Outlook ITpro  forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/threads

Thanks,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Can you reproduce the issue when sending emails via OWA?

Try clearing the NK2 cache and see if it works.

Thanks,

Simon Wu

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:58 AM
  • While it seems to be plaguing a few of our Outlook users (clearing the NK2 cache has yielded good results so far.  Whether or not it resolves the issue is yet to be seen.), it actually seems to be affecting those who have their mail forwarded to a gmail account more.  In the server, it's set up as forward to a Mail Contact.

For science, I'm going to have them use OWA for the day and report back regardless.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 2:19 PM
  • Alright, an update of sorts.

When they use OWA, the error doesn't seem to occur.  Outlook and users who have their mailbox forwarded to their Gmail account both experience it though.

Even after clearing the NK2 cache, it has resurfaced.

Thursday, February 14, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hello,

Since OWA works, I think the issue is more related to the Outlook client side. So far I have no idea about this symptom if the cause is not with the NK2 file.

Let’s continue troubleshooting the issue by consulting the Outlook ITpro  forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/outlook/threads

Thanks,

Simon Wu

Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:43 AM