none
DPM 2010 licensing for protecting Exchange on a Hyper-V cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using DPM 2010 to protect a two node Hyper-V cluster. Two Enterprise licenses are available, one for each node, I'm using host level backup.

If one of the virtual machines that reside on this cluster is an Exchange 2010 server, do I need an additional (Enterprise) license so I can backup/recover a database. I don't need item level recovery.

When I select the VM where Exchange is installed on in DPM I don't see the individual databases...and am naturally unable to restore them as well.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

to backup and restore exchange database you will need the agent installed on the VM.

And that will induce buying an Enterprise License for DPM.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

to backup and restore exchange database you will need the agent installed on the VM.

And that will induce buying an Enterprise License for DPM.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Thank you for the quick reply.

I might add, that as it is right now, it appears that Exchange is being properly backed up, the transaction logs get cleared, if I open up Exchange Management Console and go to Organization Configuration\Mailbox\Database Management, right click on a database, Properties, the Last Full Backup shows that Exchange is being backed up. I just don't have the option of backing up/restoring an individual database.

Is this to be expected? Are there any links available on this specific topic?

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 2:13 PM