Windows Live Messenger Jump List Issue/Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Alrighty, sorry if I'm dropping this off in the wrong section of the forum here.. but I'm a newby to these boards and the place is so big that.. well.. you get the idea.

Anyway, I recently did a reformat and reinstall of Windows 7 Home Premium today, installed my Graphics Card Drivers, reinstalled World of Warcraft, and most importantly, reinstalled some Windows Live Essentials. Now, everything was running just fine, because previously I'd noticed my jump lists weren't working, even on the Windows Explorer icon on my task bar.. but until a few moments ago.. everything was running great.. and then I noticed this.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4559/jumplist.jpg

I can't think what may be causing it, because there isn't any software on the pc that would even cause any conflicts.. I'd heard about the ATI tray program causing problems for jump lists.. but all I have so far are just the drivers for my GPU, and that's all..

Has anyone seen this before? Can anyone identify what this is and maybe how to fix it?

I'd also like to mention that all the buttons on the jump list work fine, it's just the strange icon that appears next to every option on the menu that wasn't there before.. and is now..

Thanks in advance

- Badgers

Sunday, April 11, 2010 8:11 PM

Answers

• Wow...It seems that some programs installed effect the jumplists of Windows Live Messenger. Try performing aClean Boot and only open Windows Live Messenger to see how it works. If no culprit appears, let's start the third party program one by one to identify the exact cause.

BTW, you could try creating a new user profile to see if the issue persists as well.

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 19, 2010 12:59 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Badgers,

Does this issue occur with other programs’ jump lists? Since everything worked great several minutes ago, currently the first option would be a System Restore. If the issue persists after System Restore, I would like to suggest the following methods:

1.Restore Jump List for Windows Live Messenger.

As I know, all the Jump Lists items are saved in the following locations:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

You can drag the items listed in this folder to Notepad and see which one is for Windows Live Messenger. Based on my test, it should be "b06a975b62567622.customDestinations-ms".

Please cut the item from the above two folders and paste them to a safe place for backup. Unpin the Windows Live Messenger and then restart the computer.

After the restart, please re-pin Windows Live Messenger and run it. Please check if the issue can be resolved.

2.Uninstall and reinstall Windows Live Messenger.

Best Regards

Dale

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:37 AM
  • Hello Dale

Thankyou for your reply. Unfortunately both suggestions failed to solve the problem I'm having. At the time when I discovered this issue, there were only a handful of programs installed on the computer, and uninstalling each one seems to do little to fix this problem.. unfortunately I think I'm stuck with it.

Everything else however seems to be working just fine, so I guess I'll just have to live with it until it sorts itself out.

Thankyou once again.

- Badgers

Thursday, April 15, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Wow...It seems that some programs installed effect the jumplists of Windows Live Messenger. Try performing aClean Boot and only open Windows Live Messenger to see how it works. If no culprit appears, let's start the third party program one by one to identify the exact cause.

BTW, you could try creating a new user profile to see if the issue persists as well.

Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, April 19, 2010 12:59 AM
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:36 AM
  • I didn't have this problem in my Windows 7 installation. Try re-install Windows Live Messenger again?
    Friday, April 16, 2010 10:03 AM
  • I tried reinstalling Live Essentials 2011 but still the Start Menu Jump List for Live Messenger is still damaged/missing.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 9:14 AM