Explorer.exe application error on logoff - memory could not be written RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I know this error has come up for quite a few people but most of their messages says 'cannot be read'

I have look into this and cannot find any error logs relating to this message. this happens only after the user has used the machine for a while.

I also gave him another laptop and the same issue occurs. he said today that it came up when logging of a VM machine but I didn't see the message to see if the referenced memory  was the same.

I have tried it myself but it sometimes happens and then sometimes not. it seemed to happen when being docked as when it was no I didn't see the message at all. however I cannot replicate the issue every time. I have checked event viewer and the WER folder and nothing is showing up at that time.

Is there anything else I can check 

Thank you.

Mahesh

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi sillett.

The problem could be due to a Windows Explorer extension.
    Download and execute ShellExView and disable all the installed Windows Explorer extensions, then check if the problem appears again.
    After that, try enabling each extension on a one by one basis and check if the problem appears again after enabling a specific extension.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:30 PM
  • Hi sillett,

Considering the type of error, maybe run a hard drive diagnostics and a memory diagnostics.

It may be caused by some third party software conflicting with explorer.exe or it could be a memory conflict with a driver.

I would suggest you to follow the steps provided in these methods and check if it helps in resolving the issue:

Method 1: Run System Maintenance troubleshooter:

Step 1: Move your mouse to the right bottom and click on search.

Step 2: Type Troubleshooting in the search box and click on it

Step 3: On left pane click “View all” click on the "Run Maintenance task" under the System and Security.

Step 4: Click on the "Next" in the System Maintenance interface.

Select "Try troubleshooting as an administrator

Method 2: I would suggest you to run the Memory Diagnostic Tool and check if it helps.

a) Press Windows key and type "memory".

b) Click "Settings" and then click the result "Diagnose your computer's memory problems".

c) Select the recommended option to run the tool.

Check if the issue still persists. If the issue persists, increase the virtual memory.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/danstolts/2013/01/how-to-change-the-size-of-virtual-memory-pagefile-sys-on-windows-8-or-windows-server-2012/

Method 3: We could perform a Clean Boot to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

For this error on Windows 8.1, this error occurs because the Explorer.exe process accesses memory that has already been freed during the shutdown process. Please refer to the link below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2929203/application-error-in-explorer.exe-when-you-shut-down-or-restart-windows

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 17, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi sillett,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:49 AM