locked
Lookup column appearing as read only in datasheet view RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have added a new column to a list.  The column is a lookup column (actually it's the filtered lookup from Codeplex).  In datasheet view, I want to copy the contents of an old column and paste it into this new column.  The problem is that the new column is showing up as read-only when in datasheet view.  Any way around this?  Is this behavior normal?
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:40 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, April 4, 2011 10:14 PM

All replies

  • not knowing the project, i guess its a limitation, is the field multivalue ?


    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Is that column a site column? Did you try to save the column definition in list?


    --Cheers
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:18 AM
  • The column is not multi-value.
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Prasath - It is not a site column. I don't know what you mean by "save the column definition in list?"
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:04 PM
  • I have more info, in case anyone can help me.  I edited one of my list items in standard view in this filtered lookup column.  When I look at the list in Datasheet view, there is additional "data" inserted in from of the expected data.  This additional data is in the form of a number, a semi-colon and the pound sign, like this  "8;#". The number appears to be the ID of the list item being lookup up. 


    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:58 PM
  • I went back to the CodePlex site.  This read-only and ID issues are well known.  Apparently I'm stuck with them.
    There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 4:38 PM