none
Project 2007 with Sharepoint 2007 on the same box RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the deal:-

Our test environment consists of one SQL Server 2005 machine, 1 Domain Controller and 1 Windows 2008 R2 server with Sharepoint 2007 and Project 2007 installed.

We wanted to test the installation of Sharepoint 2007 Service Pack 2 in our test environment. I followed the instructions available from Technet to install both the WSS 3.0 SP2 and MOSS 2007 SP2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637740(office.12).aspx BUT the last part of the Sharepoint Configuration Wizard failed with the following error:-

SQL Database 'ProjectServer_Published' on SQL Server instance 'SPDatabaseServiceInstance'

not found. Additional error information from SQL

Server is included below.

Cannot open database "ProjectServer_Published" requested by the login.

The login failed.

Login failed for user 'domain\FarmAdmin'.

The weird thing is my database is called 'MTL_Project_Published'

So it looks like it's looking for the old project databases.

Has anyone encountered this issue before when installing the service pack 2 of Sharepoint 2007 in their environment?

Thanks,

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 7:33 PM

Answers

• I suspect 'ProjectServer_Published' is become an Orphan entry now. Since it is Test environment, suggesting the following method. (not recommended to do it on production)

We need to remove this entry from the Farm. Run the following query on configuration database, collect the ID, later execute the STSADM command

SELECT OD.ID AS DepID,OD.Name AS DepName, O.ID AS ObID,O.Name AS ObName FROM Objects AS O INNER JOIN Dependencies AS D ON O.ID = D.ObjectID INNER JOIN Objects AS OD ON D.DependantID = OD.ID WHERE O.Name like 'ProjectServer_Published'

STSADM -o deleteconfigurationobject -id 'ID from the query'

Later try to run the sharepoint configuration wizard to perform the service pack upgrade.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by ITtech1979 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:19 PM

All replies

• so you restored the four PS database in test? I assume you have different service accounts for staging and production?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:41 PM
  • so you restored the four PS database in test? I assume you have different service accounts for staging and production?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

No actually this TEST environment is an exact copy of our production environment. We took a backup of the Hyper V Virtual machines and restored them in a TEST environment. We want to make sure that the service pack 2 can be installed in staging first prior to doing it in Production. It appears that lots of people have experienced problems installing the Sharepoint service pack 2.

We basically took a backup of the SQL VM, 1 Domain controller and the Sharepoint Server Virtual machines and set them up using a private network on a Hyper V host.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 8:48 PM
  • I suspect 'ProjectServer_Published' is become an Orphan entry now. Since it is Test environment, suggesting the following method. (not recommended to do it on production)

We need to remove this entry from the Farm. Run the following query on configuration database, collect the ID, later execute the STSADM command

SELECT OD.ID AS DepID,OD.Name AS DepName, O.ID AS ObID,O.Name AS ObName FROM Objects AS O INNER JOIN Dependencies AS D ON O.ID = D.ObjectID INNER JOIN Objects AS OD ON D.DependantID = OD.ID WHERE O.Name like 'ProjectServer_Published'

Later try to run the sharepoint configuration wizard to perform the service pack upgrade.

• Marked as answer by ITtech1979 Wednesday, September 22, 2010 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:19 PM

Thanks for the info Sriram!

In fact when i deleted the Orphan entry, the sharepoint upgrade was successful. However, i can access the Sharepoint Central Admin but there are lots of errors. Also i cannot access the Sharepoint site anymore.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:49 PM

Thanks for the info Sriram!

In fact when i deleted the Orphan entry, the sharepoint upgrade was successful. However, i can access the Sharepoint Central Admin but there are lots of errors. Also i cannot access the Sharepoint site anymore.

Any ideas?

Rebooting the servers actually fixed the issue.

Also while troubleshooting the Sharepoint upgrade problem, i moved one web.config file into the /template/layouts directory. So deleting this also fixed the errors.

I will test the sharepoint site and project site to see if everything is working well

Thanks again

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:42 PM
  • Thanks Sriram,

I also had this issue and deleting the DepID worked perfectly.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 12:33 AM